Omg Wtf A**hole

nudy6969

RUSTYS BROWN DOUGHNUT
my stupid clown bit my cardinals tail off, he was dragging it by its tail through the whole tank. they were always fine tank mates, always got along on till he just attacked my cardinal right in front of me. what a waste. my cardinal is laying on the sand breathing sideways. i think its dying. why would he do sch a thing. is it because he was hungry? i haven't feed my fish in 4 days trying to kill my algae.

my clowfish has gone mad, it even tryes to attack my sea slug, which gets me worried since they can release a toxin.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Its a shame too, cardinals are so friendly and nice. Sometimes nature gets the best of the "cute" clowns and turns them to "evil bastards".

my clowfish has gone mad, it even tryes to attack my sea slug, which gets me worried since they can release a toxin.

I suggest removing the clown for 2-3 days and let the other fish re-establish themselves there first and give he clown a chance to forget. Rearrange some of the rocks if you feel up to it.

i would suggest feeding your fish ... ok maybe not your clown since he just ate ... you can always skip every other day but dont starve them ... there are alternatives to getting rid of algae

I don't believe in starving fish to control nitrates. (nitrates = algae) I feed my tank very heavily. I have 2 small fish and a bunch of corals. I feed the tank 1 cube of Marine Cuisine daily and I dump Marine Snow and 2 Little Fishes trace elements in every other day. I don't have algae in my DT. I got some bubble algae on a couple rocks and thats it.

My opinion is that you probably have algae because you don't have the right kind of filtration on the tank. Are you running a regufium with a DSB and lots of macroalgae to export phosphates and nitrates? If not, thats exactly what you should be doing.

i have live rock rubble and phosphate removal media in the back compartment of my aquapod, and a sea hare in the tank, my algae is ridiculous, one of my rocks is all green, looks like a sponge from all the hair algae covering it.

Last edited:
after reading the whole thread I just noticed that you are new to this hobby. I believe that you don't have a problem in your tank. The reason that you are getting the hair algae is because your tank hasn't finished cycling yet. you are only 2 months into the hobby. PATIENCE pays a lot in this hobby.

New tanks get hair algae.

Do you have an RO/DI unit? If not, have you tested the water out of your tap? It could be loaded with nitrates and/or phosphates. Whats fine for you to drink, can be hell in a reef tank. The best water to use would be from an RO unit IMO. They don't formulate this synthetic sea salt in laboratories with a garden hose hooked up to the rusty old well out back. They use the best and purest water they can get. You should too.

But, it's mostly because your tank is new. It will go away.

what kind of cleaner crew are you using. i has the same problem and i have had my cleaner crew in there for less then a week and my problem is solved

Clowns are the bastard child of damselfish....meaning pretty aggressive and territorial.You might have to get rid of it.I'm starting to think clowns make better additions when added last or not at all.Twelve gallons may not be enough room for another fish to co-exist with clowns.

Kimoy is spot on. If your tank is only 2 months old, it's totally normal to get algae problems. It's pretty much unavoidable. Many people only feed their fish once or twice a week, and the fish do fine. But that really only works in larger, established tanks that are mature enough to provide the inhabitants with a strong supply of live food. Your tank is not large enough or mature enough to do that, and I think going 4 days without feeding is probably too long.

You're going to have to give the algae time to clear up, with a new tank, you really have no choice.

Back