Omg!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Bifferwine, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Bifferwine

CurtisL

hahaha yah... thats a little excessive but a nice 2 week case would be cool... i shoulda been a lawyer, i like that stuff

CurtisL, Jan 12, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Bifferwine

Bifferwine I am a girl

I just looked it up, the OJ Simpson trial was 8 months long. That's INSANE!!!

Bifferwine, Jan 12, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Bifferwine

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

I KNOW what you'd do.You'd have a huge bald spot from pullin your hair out.:mrgreen:

yote, Jan 12, 2011
  4. Bifferwine

bjohanson1234 .........

I have only been called to jury duty twice in my life. One for county and one for federal. Never served on a jury. The one for federal I got called into the selection pool. The case was about a car crash and who was at fault. Not sure why it was in the federal court. Anyways, they asked if I had any bias. I said "If either of the drivers had any alcohol at all in their system, I will be in favor of the sober one. If both had alcohol, I will say both are at fault. I dont care if it is under the legal limit."

Got me off the jury:mrgreen:

My job at the time did not pay for when you were serving jury duty. So I would not want to be on one for more than a day or two. Not that I wouldnt find it facinating to be on one, I just wouldnt be able to afford it. Strangley enough, I havent been called since I moved. The state obviously has my new address since I have both a license and am registered to vote. Been living here for 5 years or so.

bjohanson1234, Jan 12, 2011
  5. Bifferwine

KarenJax Certified Master Stylist

I got called to jury duty once last year. Told them no way I could just shut down my business for the duration of a trial. Got excused

KarenJax, Jan 12, 2011
  6. Bifferwine

ErinCahir Sausage Wrangler

I've never been called for jury duty. And if I could find someone to watch the kids (which I could) I would totally do it.

ErinCahir, Jan 12, 2011
  7. Bifferwine

tankedchemist

Biff, do you know if that graph takes into account population? I see that North Dakota is at the top of the list in terms of low murder rates... but, uhm, isn't it likely to also be because there are less people to murder? :mrgreen:

Regarding VA benefits, they suck a lot, even now. My best friend got the lower half of his body crushed by a giant crane when a bomb went off in Iraq. that was 3-4 years ago, and he still can't perform his job in the Army. He's been trying to get medically discharged for about 2 years now, and the only way he'll get full medical coverage is after all these different doctors evaluate everything, and the brass approve it.

Contrary to popular belief, veterans generally don't qualify for medical, unless they serve a full career (min 20 years, but many guys can't make it that long because of injuries like the one I mentioned, or worse) or have been massively injured. Even loss of limb is only considered to be like 10% medical coverage. It's terrible, but the VA system is so horribly underfunded that they can't even take care of the minimal number of soldiers that actually get authorized for benefits. There's something fundamentally wrong with that system.

I've been called for jury duty 3 times, but never gotten to the selection process... maybe cause I was too young (very early 20s).

tankedchemist, Jan 12, 2011
  8. Bifferwine

Bifferwine I am a girl

Murder rates are typically adjusted for population size -- so murders per 100,000 people is what they usually use. So it does take into account population size. Louisiana is not one of the most populous states, but it does have the most murders per 100,000 people. That's why it says "National Average = 6.3".

Bifferwine, Jan 12, 2011
  9. Bifferwine

JBowden Reefin' Housewife

My husband has been called to Jury duty twice. One time, was when we lived in a different county...and his work simply wrote a letter to the Courthouse stating that Axel had too much work to do and the company couldn't afford to let him miss the time he would be needed for a trial. That county excused him.

We moved 2 years ago, and he got called for it again... This time, when his work wrote a letter, the county called Axel and told him to grow some balls and go to Jury Duty...there's no getting out of it in this county. They asked him if he'd prefer a different date, and so now his duties have been postponed until March sometime.

The county we live in now sucks...because the courthouse is in Flint... a really nasty place.

JBowden, Jan 12, 2011
  10. Bifferwine

Bifferwine I am a girl

Here's an easy way to get out of jury duty: The last case I sat on was a federal case. The defendant was African American. There was a pool of about 60 people to begin with. One of the first questions the lawyers asked the pool was "Do any of you think you are unable to give this man a fair trial because he is black?" SO MANY PEOPLE RAISED THEIR HANDS! And they were all excused! I would be mortified...

Bifferwine, Jan 12, 2011
  11. Bifferwine

sen5241b

I have actually done some work for the VA related to business and process efficiency. They are NOT under-funded. They are the second largest department in the federal Government in terms of funding. The Federal government is huge (DoD alone is 50x the size of Exxon I believe) and with that comes bureaucracy. You also have to take into account that it is almost impossible to fire Federal employees and with that comes some employees who are not in the least motivated.

Want a radical idea to greatly reduce the deficit and provide better service to Vets? Out source 99% of what the VA does to business but set standards they must meet. But I can guarantee you that the political will does no exists to do this.

sen5241b, Jan 12, 2011
  12. Bifferwine

Bifferwine I am a girl

Do you think private businesses (like doctors and hospitals) would be willing to work for what the government would be willing to pay? I imagine if the government outsourced vets' medical care, they'd expect to pay much lower than what those services normally cost.

Bifferwine, Jan 12, 2011
  13. Bifferwine

LBFish

Looks like a familiar suggestion... If you eliminated most of what the VA does as sen suggested you would be able to provide the Vets with either quality insurance or you could just use those funds to pay doctors and hospitals their normal rate. But I also agree that the political process and the sudden loss of thousands of federal jobs will never happen. Someone would need to see that as an end goal and slowly start reducing the size of the VA and outsourcing small chunks.

LBFish, Jan 12, 2011
  14. Bifferwine

sen5241b

Good point. You would use Medicare payments as a model for the VA system and -yes- I understand that some doctors are refusing to service Medicare patients. Would you believe some in Congress are proposing to freeze Medicare payments are current levels regardless of health-care inflation? If you outsourced it you would have to take into account supply and demand economics.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
    sen5241b, Jan 12, 2011
  15. Bifferwine

Bifferwine I am a girl

Are VA hospitals the only government-run health care facilities? Even Medicare and Medicaid work within existing private and public infrastructure...

It sounds to me that just providing vets a special insurance plan for life and allowing them to use that insurance at a doctor or hospital of their choice as anyone else does makes more sense. It would also increase demand in the health care field, so the people currently employed in the VA system could migrate over to the private sector.

Bifferwine, Jan 12, 2011
  16. Bifferwine

LBFish

Sounds like we've just about got this one worked out, and in a bipartisan way, who is going to draft the bill?

LBFish, Jan 12, 2011
  17. Bifferwine

Bifferwine I am a girl

Has this ever been an idea that has been seriously proposed by anyone? Or is it just too far fetched that no one has bothered? Who, exactly, opposes this?

Bifferwine, Jan 12, 2011
  18. Bifferwine

bjohanson1234 .........

I would like an amendment added to the bill!!!!

I propose that receits from LFS and online aquariua vendors be tax deductable!!! Up to 50% of your income. And anyone who spends more than 1000 dollars a year on tank supplies gets a tax rebate of 100 dollars.!!!!!!!

19. Bifferwine

Bifferwine I am a girl

You and your pork, BJ! :mrgreen:

Bifferwine, Jan 12, 2011
  20. Bifferwine

bjohanson1234 .........

Hey thats how the system works isnt it?:frustrat:

I think that bills should pass on their own merit and not because you had to add some specialized spending to get some polotician to vote for it.

1. Advertisements

Ask a Question