One more fish?

Kat

Reefing newb
ok I think I already know the answer to this question but Im going to ask, I have a 14g (about 3 monthes old) 2 small clowns, 1 arrow crab, 1 cleaner shrimp some snails and hermits. I was at the LFS today and saw a orange spotted goby, he is so cute could I get him? also what do you think of the arrow crab the salesman talked me into it he said it would eat undesireable worms. he is kind of cool he has been in the tank about two weeks and is so far not causing any trouble.

I hear that the arrow crab gets BIG kinda FAST ????? I too think they are cool to watch. I'm not sure about the goby..the tank might be just a bit to small.

I personally think you'd be pushing it with the goby.JMO.
And arrow crabs are cool.But they do get pretty big.And why would you want them to eat your bristle worms anyway?
Those worms are usually the best part of your clean up crew.

I have two false percs and the same goby in my 25 gallon high. I run a Prism skimmer and have a bunch of rock, and I my nitrates are consistently at zero. It seems to me that those three fill my tank (so to speak) pretty well...I wouldn't want to put anything else in.

Before my 25 a year and a half or so ago, I had the same two clowns in a ten gallon, and IMO it was too cramped for them. A 15 might be too little tank for those three fish.

Arrow crabs eat worms that are GOOD for your tank. They are really not good additions to reef tank as they will decimate your cleaner crew, and like Yote said, bristleworms are great cleaners!

Arrow crabs will also eventually go after fish. Be careful, they are known to turn predatorial.

I have pushed the stocking limits on my tanks in the past, and I'd say one more fish should be okay, but watch your parameters carefully after you add it. If they go up, you are at your limit.

Biff, you're way braver than me!

Actually, you probably can keep three fish healthy and happy in something as small as a 10 gallon. It just makes it all the more important to keep up with testing, maintenance, and water changes.

sounds like you have a plan. Watch your parameters, that tells you when you are done stocking...that and when fish start killing each other for space. Post pics when you get them

-Doc

I guess the arrow crab was a bad idea. The fish store manager asked me to descibe the worms in the tank and he said I had fireworms? thats why he suggested it he said they would eat the bottom off corals. should I return him? also thank you all for your help I respect your opinions over the fish store guy your not trying to sell me something

From my understanding.Fireworms are pretty bright red.Plus there not a common hitch hiker like the bristles.
Its really up to you if you want to keep the crab or not.But I'd trade him.

I would also return the crab. He'll eat all the bristleworms which are good for the tank. But it's totaly up to you.

Ditto. Highly unlikely that you have 'bad news' worms. Common bristleworms are reddish/pinkish, with some blackish in there. They'll come in on literally almost EVERY rock you buy.

They could be described as fireworms based on simple description, but they're not. I'd say 86 the crab, but again - your tank, your choice. Either way, the crab will be more detrimental than any fireworm you may, however unlikely, have.

Just my two cents...
tim

Fireworms are a type of bristleworms. But 99.9% of bristleworms are good, not bad. The chance that you have the bad kind (fireworms) is very slim. Regular old bristleworms, which are pinkish or brownish or tannish in color, will not hurt anything in your tank, and will only help keep it clean. Like others have said, fireworms are bright red, and very rare to find. I'd take the crab back.

Back