one of my paired clownfish jumped out :( need advice

quickwiz00

Reefing newb
i have an 8 year old false percula; after four years with her i decided to add another false percula they both bonded and spent the last four years as a pair. last night my male(the second additon) jumped out and i found him dried up in the morning. i was wondering what the best approach would be in adding a new male. will the eight year old female pair up again, should i wait a certain amount of time; or add a new one asap. thanks in advance

There's a good chance she'd pair up again. If the new one is close in size to your female, they will fight for dominance, so buy a new clown that is much smaller than her, and that will increase the chances that they will get along. I don't think you need to wait, I doubt that she is "mourning" or something and "replacing" her dead mate might insult her ;). "NO! I AM JUST NOT READY FOR THIS! YOU ARE PUSHING ME TOO FAST!"

put in a smaller clown and they will be fine together. Post a pic or two. Mine are three years old and they look small

-Doc

i winded up going to a LFS and purchasing a small clown i would say he's about 1 inch. my veteran clown is a solid 3 inches and she seems to be determined not to let the new guy leave the corner in which she sleeps. ill try and get pictures of her up tomorrow.

After taking 70 photos of my clown this was the best one; which isnt saying much at all.
DSC00555.jpg

i tried uploading the file and it didnt work (kept telling me invalid file) if this doesnt work ill post a link that should work.

ohh and also if you notice she seems to have black blotches all over her body. not to sure what they are but they developed around her 5th year. was wondering if anyone has seen anything like that before?

Great shot of the old gal.

If this happen in her fifth year and now she's eight,I wouldn't worry to much about it.I seen clownfish similar with scar marks from repeating stung by an anemone.That only happens when they first try to get the anemone/corals mucus on them.

Back