OnLine Live Rock...

flipsta

Reefing newb
Hi Y'all

As Im figuring out how to start my first saltwater tank (29gal), I realize that my biggest startup cost will be Live Rock (thanks to all of yous I no know that Live Rock is different than Coral - thanks). So looking for good deals I went to the Internet.

Does anyone have recommendations and/or experience with good and less expensive sites? Does live rock ship well? Should I pay extra to get it local?

Thanks.

:)

Lighting is also a pretty expensive factor for a new tank, I bought 50lbs of premium LR online and once I got it the color in the Coraline Algae wasn't coming out realized my lighting was only 1/2 of the required minimum for my tank, so I had to extend my budget a bunch to get a new fixture xD

TampaBay is a great place to deal with, you would be hard pressed to find anyone with something negative to say about them. If you buy from them, go all out and buy "the Package", you'll get live sand, live rock, CUC, probably some corals and some really great hitchhikers (and a few bad ones). If you buy the whole package from them, it'll end up being cheaper from them. But, if you are just buying live rock then DrFS is comparable in price.
Another thing to consider, if you are trying to save money. You should have approx. 2 lbs. of LR per gallon of water so in your tank you should have 58 lbs. of rock. You can always just buy some live rock and have the rest be dry rock. Your cycle will take longer but, eventually the live rock you put in will make the dry rock live.
As far as lighting goes, you don't NEED to worry about that until you are ready to start introducing corals into your system. With a Fish Only With Live Rock (FOWLR) system the stock lights will fit your purpose and you can upgrade them at a later time. But, if you want to start growing corals right away you should figure out what kinds and that will narrow down the type of lights you'll need somewhat.

Last edited:
TampaBay is a great place to deal with, you would be hard pressed to find anyone with something negative to say about them. If you buy from them, go all out and buy "the Package", you'll get live sand, live rock, CUC, probably some corals and some really great hitchhikers (and a few bad ones). If you buy the whole package from them, it'll end up being cheaper from them. But, if you are just buying live rock then DrFS is comparable in price.
Another thing to consider, if you are trying to save money. You should have approx. 2 lbs. of LR per gallon of water so in your tank you should have 58 lbs. of rock. You can always just buy some live rock and have the rest be dry rock. Your cycle will take longer but, eventually the live rock you put in will make the dry rock live.
As far as lighting goes, you don't NEED to worry about that until you are ready to start introducing corals into your system. With a Fish Only With Live Rock (FOWLR) system the stock lights will fit your purpose and you can upgrade them at a later time. But, if you want to start growing corals right away you should figure out what kinds and that will narrow down the type of lights you'll need somewhat.

Have you ordered from them BL1? I ordered "the package" from them this afternoon but didnt receive a confirmation emailor order number . I did call the 800 number to make sure there wasnt a problem but from the voicemail i assume its not a big shop and they might not have automated confirmation emails. Just wondering.... Thanks :D

It looks spendy, but if you really add up everything you are getting, it's actually a pretty damn good deal. With "The Package" you are getting Rock, Sand, CUC, and a ton of extra goodies. Not to mention practically skipping the cycle/initial waiting period. All for the price of just rock bought at your LFS (plus shipping charges).

Have you ordered from them BL1? I ordered "the package" from them this afternoon but didnt receive a confirmation emailor order number . I did call the 800 number to make sure there wasnt a problem but from the voicemail i assume its not a big shop and they might not have automated confirmation emails. Just wondering.... Thanks :D

I have. Check out my build thread. Richard is a great guy! He's probably out diving right now or unloading stuff in the warehouse. It's just him so give him time. You'll probably hear back tonite or in the morning.

I have. Check out my build thread. Richard is a great guy! He's probably out diving right now or unloading stuff in the warehouse. It's just him so give him time. You'll probably hear back tonite or in the morning.

Lol I kinda of figured from the message he might be running it himself... I got plenty of time, so im not in any rush. I just didnt want there to be any problems. Thanks d2mini

I have ordered from TBS myself recently actually with only recieving my first half so far. Waiting on my second half of my order. Awesome place to do business with next day after order Richard Called to confirm order and live rock and sand was on a direct flight to my state. I live only two minutes from the air port so no big deal to pick it up. Tank cycled in ten days flat.

Richard should be out diving this week and in the warehouse. I talked to him at the end of last week and he was going out to pick up stuff for new orders. He doesn't have an automated system, all of my correspondence including my confirmation were from Richard himself. I believe he usually will call you with confirmation the day after you place your order.

flipsta,

I also have purchased from TBS and like others have nothing but good to say about them. You won't be disappointed if you buy from them. If you take into account that the sand, rock and clean up crew are the mainstay of your reef, the price melts away pretty fast. Plus you will get some GREAT extras in the form of hitch hikers and stuff Richard just puts in your shipments.

The best way to communicate with him is via email. He will answer your mail and keep in touch throughout your order and after as well.

Hope this helps you make your choice.

Charlie

The directions for "The Package" say "Test the tank at least twice a day (morning and evening). As soon as the level gets above one part per million, change enough water to bring it down to safe levels. For example, if your test shows that you're at 1.25ppm, you'll need to do approximately a 25% water change to get it below 1ppm. It may take 4 to 7 days or more of water changes until the tank cycles."

This is a new Saltwater tank with nothing currently in it. I was under the impression that i wanted to let the ammonia run throught its cycle undistrubed.

Maybe a dumb question but when i do water changes, am i supposed to get it up to the temp of the tank? I would assume so but I would like to be for sure before i go out and buy a heater. Do I just siphon the water via tube and my mouth or is there a better way?

You're going to want to do the water changes because if you let the ammonia build up it could get to a point where it kills the hitchhikers that came with your package. And you also want the water you're putting in to be the same temp as the water in your tank.

you want there to be some ammonia, yes. I'd say keeping it just below or around 1ppm is reasonable.

as far as how to do water changes, I got a cheapie extra water pump and heater. I leave both in the giant container of RODI water, and turn them on. add salt after heater has warmed the water a bit. Stir overnight or longer. Then I connect a piece of tubing to the pump, and pump clean water into my tank while my built-in drain drains the nasty water. Without the drain you'd want to remove the water from the tank first (you can use the pump to do this). it takes me a total of 10 minutes of actual work to do a water change on m 125g

Back