only a reefer...

lilduud

Reefing newb
so this morning i woke up to an awful noise... my return pump was starting to suck in air and was groaning and spitting mcrobubbles into the tank.. welllll there was a decent amount of evap overnight since the tank was at 81.. anyway i added abut a half gallon of RO water and the sump leveled out and the noise stopped... then however i turned around to see every bit of glass in my room covered in condensation. inside not out... well i guess there was no where for the water to go since my rooms all sealed up, and it got pretty nippy last night so my room is basically an indoor dew factory... you probably cant tell in the pics but my windows are completely soaked... from the inside. haha i think its time to buy a dehumidifier

134d0fb0.jpg

c86bb05b.jpg

I had to get a dehumidifier a few months ago! Everything in my tank room had rusted, including the light switch connections and HVAC system controls. And the paint was peeling off the walls. Only thing is, the dehumidifier puts off a ton of heat. If you can crack a window, you are better off IMO.

Hey it just completes the feel of living on the beach while your landlocked :)

Haha I live on an island in San Diego I'm by no means land locked haha. The ironic part is that it was more dry outside than in my room. I guess I'll start leaving a window open heh

I'm really surprised you had a rust problem in Arizona, Sarah.

Here in Colorado, I never had any issues with the humidity. Any tank evaporation was immediately absorbed into the powder dry air we have here. When I had the tank, my old apartment never got over 15% or 20% humidity.

My wife has been encouraging me to build a new tank. She knows I've been jonesing for a tank and she knows how much humidity they will put into the dry winter air in the coming months.

I think thats pretty much the green light for a new tank. I want one. She wants one. Now just need to find the right size. :mrgreen:

I'm really surprised you had a rust problem in Arizona, Sarah.

I didn't until the summer (our rainy season). Everything metal in the room was rusted, and I was unable to use the swamp cooler control -- it had rusted in place. And the windows were constantly fogged up, and the paint was starting to peel away and shrivel up on the walls. When you walked in the room in the morning, the floor was wet. It was bad. I expect this is the only time of year that I'll see that, though. So that's a plus.

Evaporative coolers. Some of the older houses have them here instead of air conditioning. It's terrible in the summer. It works fine except for the 3 or 4 hottest months of the year. That's why my house was in the high 80s all summer long!

Thank goodness for air conditioning. That's all we have here in the midwest. Not sure I would like my house to be 80+ degrees during the summer but, on the flip side, we must deal with really cold winters. :cold: Not looking forward to below zero temps outside.

I want AC so bad. I got some quotes last week to get central air put in my house... The price tag is so high. I'm looking to finance it since I can't afford it... It sucks, but I don't think I can take my super high utility bills anymore due to a 30 year old inefficient HVAC system, and frankly, my house is miserable 4 months out of the year. A new energy efficient system should cut my utility bills in half, so that will be exciting!

Biff: Check with your tax accountant but I think you can take the energy tax credit for central air, as long as it meets efficiency requirements. 2010 is the last year the IRS if allowing this. I took advantage of this in 2009 when I put in a new furnace. The cost of the furnace was roughly $1,800 and I got $600 back on my tax return. Yea! I used the money for my tank, of course!

Biff: Check with your tax accountant but I think you can take the energy tax credit for central air, as long as it meets efficiency requirements. 2010 is the last year the IRS if allowing this. I took advantage of this in 2009 when I put in a new furnace. The cost of the furnace was roughly $1,800 and I got $600 back on my tax return. Yea! I used the money for my tank, of course!

I know. I already am getting that credit for my windows and doors that I bought this year. And the tax credit is only a maximum of $1,500. My estimates were $8,000 to $10,000 so the tax credit isn't that big compared to the cost.

Back