Oooh OOoh Read mine!

I agree that in most cases, morays (even without aggression) can be very dangerous. The temperament of a Zebra eel does allow a careful person to feed it without an accidental bite. The real issue however, is the inability of a Zebra to do any damage, even if a bite occurs. Its teeth are totally blunt and an eel of this size does not have overly powerful jaws. I have been bitten- no damage, didn't even hurt.
My point is, there is no risk being taken, regardless of preconceptions about Morays.

The 55 was setup as a holding/cycling tank for the live rock. It was actually split between a 55 and a 20L, with a total of about 250lbs of rock.

The 55 held a little over 200 lbs, but it was basically packed to the brim. there was very little swimming room left and even less substrate surface. The swimming room left over ranged from 1-5 inches between the front glass and the rock with about 3-4 inches of depth throughout the tank. The damsels didn't mind, I think they actually preferred it that way.

I have since upgraded to the 90gl, and a 29gl to hold the leftover damsels that weren't put in the 90. I'm still not sure what I want to put in the 29 or whether it will still be running after I find a good home for the damsels.

Welcome to the reef!

I had an anemone for a little while (1 month or so), it wandered a lot, and liked to hang out at the top of the tank. We didn't feel up to upgrading the lighting, now it is in a happy home with lots of light.

Welcome from the halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli!!! And Thank You!! I would love to see pics of this tank you're describing.

I enjoyed the dialogue in this thread. Very good conversation with great information for our visitors. Big welcome to our community.

Back