Opae Ula Volcano Bowl

Crab Man

Reefing newb
Hi everyone,

I recently made a desktop Opae Ula setup because I don't yet have the time or money to establish a full reef. The little guys keep me entertained though. I used a cheap glass bowl from Michael's and a volcanic rock I carved with chisel and hammer. I'm currently trying to find some kind of macro algae that can survive the brackish conditions. I've heard of people using Chaeto with their Opae Ula, but I've been unsuccessful so far. Is there a certain strain that can grow in brackish water?

Also, does anyone have tips on breeding the Opae Ula? I've been feeding them spirulina powder and a shrimp pellet every once in a while. Any tips you guys have would be greatly appreciated. I'll get me a reef tank someday. :-)

Here's my Opae Ula Volcano Bowl:

Thanks!

You made that video?? Wow, looks professional. You should come shoot my homemovies, my videos are shaky with an annoying chick talking in the background the whole time.
So I had no idea what Opae Ula are. Never heard of 'em, then I watched your video and was like, ohhhh, that's what I have living in my ecosphere. My husband got it for me 3 years ago and it's a closed glass sphere with these shrimp in it, they're still going strong. They eat the algae that grows in there. So I guess they're prettttty low maintenance.

Attachments

• Shrimp.jpg
    Shrimp.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 329
Hey, that's awesome! Opae Ula are what I'm planning for my tank. I'm going to try the chaeto in high end brackish, about 1.020. I'm having trouble finding a opae ula breeder in the continental US that sells small quantities though (don't want to use a Hawaiian source that might be wild-caught).

Back