Open Brain doesn't like even mod flow

Chris_150G

Reefing newb
Hey I got a beautiful open brain about two weeks ago. Looks like this:

Its on the sand right under a 250W MH. My tank is pretty deep and it likes being directly under the light better than to the side. I have it between rock islands so it gets as low flow as possible but, if any flow hits it it collapses. I had to turn off one my pumps (Koralia 600gph) at the top middle of the tank because it was indirectly putting some very mild flow on the brain. Besides that pump I have a 900 gph return and a 700gph Rio that are at each end blowing at each other across the surface. The tank probably has less flow than most of yours. With the Koralia pump off it inflates and looks happy. Is this how its gonna be or is it maybe just sensitive still from having been in for about two weeks?

Several years ago, I had a brain like that in my tank, and I just couldn't find a good spot for it. The flesh looked like it was slowly ripping off the skeleton. I don't think they do well in high flow either.

It can be hard to find just the right flow for those open brains.Its hard to get the flow enough for them and still have enough for other corals.

Back