OPERATION: Coral Rescue Successful

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
About 1 month ago I had to move corals and rocks to accommodate a huge clam that I bought so it would have it's own corner and I also made the other front corner a little colorful corner of blue, green, pink, purple and rainbow Ricordeas all together.

So just for the night I placed some corals up on the rocks. One was still on a circle frag rock. It was a Favia frag with only 2 1/2 polyps/heads when I got it and now there are about 12 maybe as it is still growing well.

So I came out in the morning and it was MIA. I instantly knew where it had fallen and that it was never coming back.

I could not just push it out because the rock touches the glass in the back. So I left it sit for about a month. Once I ordered my new bulbs I figured I could try to get at it when the top was totally empty.

Last night I took a coat hanger because it was all I had to work with and tried to push it out using only the little view I had under the black backing you see in the photo circled in white.

After 15 minutes with no success I gave up and was just about to put the lights back on when I had an idea.

Why not make a loop and try to lasso the coral in a way. I thought I could make it small and push it over the coral and that twist it around the rock.

So I made the loop or whatever the shape is and stuck it down the back of the rocks. I put my head in the back of the tank and began to carefully put it over the coral which I could barely see. Finally I had it. At first I tried to just lift it up but that didn't work well. I then decided to twist it and turn the whole hanger around and I then lifted slowly.

It was only as I got back standing up and the end came out of the water that I knew it was a success. I was so happy I let out a huge YEAH!!!! HELL YEAH!!!! I looked for someone to tell but with small kids and a wife who doesn't care I could feel the happiness welling just as stress building up in your body.

Yeah I was pumped to get the coral out and all but the fact my idea worked so perfectly was one of those things where you felt like Einstein but of course with no-one to give a shart haha.

Thanks for reading and looking and maybe this idea can help someone else one day.

Congratulations!!! I lost a zoa frag in the back corner of my tank behind rocks and finally got it out with the combination of blowing through 1/4 tubing to move it to an area of the tank where I could then fit a coathanger down and get it!

Yeah I am leaving it on the bottom. It has always been on the bottom or maybe 3 inches up and grown the best. Any higher and it looses color and barely grew.

I have a half ball large one exactly the same that reacts identical to placement. Tank is 30" deep with only 150wAtt MH and they grow the best at about 27" which is crazy I thought. Most corals in my tank if you see the pix are mid to low in the tank and love it.

Back