Operation Nemo (Northstar24's 180g build)

One day, you are going wake up and be missing a few of those fish . . . . . :D

I've got the fish part figured out, now if I would only have some better luck with corals. Though I attribute most of the issues I had to the Majestic Angel that was in the tank for a short period of time.

I also had a few chalice corals that just did not do well. Now that the Majestic is no longer in the tank, I think its time to try some blastos and some acans

Thanks for all the compliments everyone

It works well, I have no major complaints. The one complaint that I have about it though is that the model I have is sealed at the top, so I can't really clean the inside of the reaction chamber. After a year and a half of use I have a little bit of sludge in the top inch or so of the reaction chamber. This doesn't seem to affect skimmate production yet, so I'm not too worried, I'm just particular when it comes to breaking down equipment for service - especially after losing my main system pump to an errant snail

That being said, he does make a version that has thumbscrews on the top so that you can get into the reaction chamber if neccesary - that is the one I would recommend. Other than that, it has been a very trouble free skimmer, easy to dial in to the proper setting, and it was broken in pretty quickly. You also get a novel of documentation from Jeff on the skimmer, and how to avoid common problems that others have reported

Thanks, I'm looking at the VS3-48. I think I'm going to need to increase my bioload a lot though. Currently working on building a new stand so I can upgrade my sump and put the skimmer inside the stand next to my DT. I should be pushing 375g of water at that point.

Yes, I have been busy lately, but I do owe this thread an update

Unfortunately its mostly not good news. I'm dealing with a massive aipstaisa problem, and a nitrates issue as well as trying a puffer fish for my wife (I know, I know, not reef safe) has led to issues with most of my corals

I'll get some photos/videos of the tank how it currently is and update this thread

Here is an update as requested. I'm currently facing some issues with my corals, as you can see with my brain coral here: Photo one was right after purchase in November of 2011, and the second photo is from a few minutes ago - serious tissue recession

IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

Here are some other photos of stuff in my tank. Hammer coral is basically melting away - look at earlier photos in this thread to see what it looked like previously. I'm really bummed about this one. Bought it half bleached and got it back to healthy and it was growing really well
IMG_0369.jpg

Other random photos
IMG_0373.jpg

Another receeding brain coral...
IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

So, before everyone starts asking, here were recent water test results

SG: 1.025
Temp:75
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:40+ (dark orange on API test kit)
Phosphate .5
Alk: 8
Cal 440
Mag 1300

So, I'm fairly certain the recent issues I have seen with coral (and not being able to keep SPS) is my nitrates. For the first year my tank was running, my nitrates read 0, so I stopped testing for them. Lesson learned....

In any case I hope the bio pellet reactor works as well as everyone says it does. I've done several big ass water changes, and nitrates are down to ~10, but I am still testing phosphates. I was overfeeding after adding a Copperband Butterfly to appease the wife (and deal with Aipstaisa) but the Copperband didn't make it long term.

If I can get phosphates down, do you guys think the corals I currently have will recover?

LPS are very tough, however I think part of the problem is your LEDs. Several people in my area with the high tech LEDs are having problems keeping their brain corals. So i would get your water in check and try and shade those guys as best you can.

The corals all came from a LFS that uses LED pendants over the coral tanks, so I think its more of the water quality issues than the lights, but I will see if I can move my rocks around and create some more shaded areas. I suppose I could also break down and try to find some shelf rock to create some ledges...

I assume I'd have the same problem with blastos and acans right? I'm planning on loading up on those once I can figure out the water issues. I'd also like to try chalices

The guys around here only seem to mention problems with brain corals. Also are LFS running the same quality LEDs you have? If so, then it might be the water quality

Been a while since I've updated my thread... so here goes

I'm still trying to get my nitrates to stay below 5 ppm, right now they hover between 5-10 ppm.

The Aipstaisa I have has been pretty much contained to my overflows thanks to a Klein's butterfly, but I've also lost a brain and some zooanthids to him. I'd like to re-home him, but I'm afraid the aipstasia will come back once he's gone.

Finally got issues with my system pump worked out, except for the part where it occasionally sucks in air even though the sump is full, when I run the sump with the intake from Lifereef, snails get sucked up and shred impellers so running it that way isnt an option (i killed 3 pumps in a mater of 6 months)

Last, but certainly not least - I lost my Potters today...

I'd post some recent pictures, but its just too damn depressing

I am so sorry to hear this, but you should be proud that you were able to keep that fish as long as you did and in great health. Very few people can say that.

Sorry to hear Matt. :(

My question without searching back is are you running a reactor? and if so what are you running in it?

Ive been reading a a$$ ton of ppl saying bio pellets will bring those #'s down

Good to hear bout the aptaisa tho...im dealing with my own issue of them now! WHERE DO THEY COME FROM!!!!!!! lol

Back