Opinion on LEDs

I bought two of these Ecoxotic Panarama Pro fixtures for my 125 gallon tank that is 72" long and 21" deep. The manufacturer recommends 3 of these for that size tank, but the guy who sold me them (where I bought my whole tank setup) said that two would be enough when I told him I only have soft corals and not sure if I want to do SPS anytime soon. So they are 92 watts each fixture, so I have 184 watts of LED. I put the two fixtures in the middle of the tank, leaving no lights on 10 inches on the sides. I think they are pretty strong because right away my fuzzy mushroom (likes really low light) started bleaching out. So I moved it to the end of the tank where the lights are not directly overhead and I think it's starting to recover. So I'm wondering, do you think this is enough light for any LPS? or even SPS someday? How about anenomes? Could I just add a few strips right above where I'd put the corals that need more light?

24? Panorama Pro LED Fixture

You're still going to have 20 inches that isn't covered by the light, I can't imagine that the tank looks very good lit that way. I think that instead of coral or nems, you should save up for a third fixture. From what I remember when I researched the Ecoxotic stuff before buying my AI Sol's, you'd have to keep the SPS within 12 inches of the fixture. As long as you can do that you should be fine

Here's what it looks like with two, what do you think? The mushrooms don't like a lot of light so I was thinking I can put them on the ends where it's not so bright.

125037.jpg

That looks like fine coverage to me, the mushrooms will be fine, just adjust them to your lighting, starting them at the bottom, with shorter lighting periods, working your way up.

I agree with Waddi, that looks like good coverage to me, and nice and bright from the looks of it. Im thinking your shroom shriveled up merely from changeing your lighting from whatever u were running before to LEDs...looks good btw

Well, I can see about a few inches of lit, but not greatly lit area, where you dont have rocks, and probabl not going to put coral there... I still think its perfectly fine.

And in person it's not very noticeable, because the rocks all have light on them and it kind of fades gradually at the ends. But I can always add a strip or two on each side, which are only $50 each, instead of paying $450 for another fixture. I'm glad I only got two.

I bought some inexpensive led acrew in lamps from Lowes, they they are 6500k and will grow sps just not the nicest color perhaps a couple of those could light up the dim ends on your tank. I have a question, I saw in the link that they are modular is it possible to add a strip to each side and angle the to fill it in or do that on the center and just spread them out until it's filled in? Since then I just replaced my 2 250 watt halides with 400's and raised them up and got the right spread on my new 165 72x24x22 not bad but the heat is definitely getting me to consider led's .

Last edited:
I have a question, I saw in the link that they are modular is it possible to add a strip to each side and angle the to fill it in or do that on the center and just spread them out until it's filled in? .

For each fixture there's an extra plug so you can add one more strip without buying the additional switch/power supply. And you would have room to mount at least 3 more strips to the fixture. They can be moved where you want them. I have them spread as far as they can go to get the most coverage. So I can plug in one more strip and mount in on my canopy on the sides of my fixture to get a little more brightness on the ends of the tank.

They are exterior 6500k lamps. what is wrong? Cree Led's are made for automobiles but that doesn't seem to matter either. :cool:

It has to do with PAR -- photosynthetically active radiation. That's the type of light that corals can use to photosynthesize. You can have plenty of light with very low PAR levels and not be able to grow anything. I'm not sure what the details are when comparing the two, but in general, regular types of lights do not have enough PAR to sustain coral growth (which is why we have to spend extra $$$ on special lights). Not to mention the spectrum -- 6500K is really really yellow.

I seriously beg to differ on that. PAR is a term that excites everyone to believe that one particular light is better than one from another when it is the PUR photosynthetically usable radiation that is actually what the plants and animals use to live and grow. It is a fact that 50% of the light emitted from the very popular Radion Led fixture is for the human visiual experience and does nothing to promote zooanthellic algae, and as I stated they aren't pretty but they will grow LPS. Vitually none of the led manufacturers publish spectographs on their lighting, but they can be found on aquarium flourescents and halides, why? because people are buying them up with the plan to make the aquarium look cool, to hell with the animals they look cool untill they begin to die then you hear of repostioning and other adjustments to try to stop them from dying, and eventually learn the lightning storms and cutsey demos and red light assaults aren't so cool after all. No coral farm or major horticulture facility uses led's other than possibly to econimically light the bathrooms.Led's will become a viable light source but as of now very few of them are worth a third of their cost, and most arent worth anything. I should have been more specific on the lights I was reffering to, I never used them as a sole source nor would I ever have dared to, but they did have LPS growth directly under them, they were just above the water line and my tank is 22in deep with only enough substrate to cover the bottom glass less than a 1/2 in.If you like I will also enjoy discussing spectrums and temps and don't wish to offend those that have some success with led's.

I have started a new thread: Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
: Marine life lighting
I would like to start there instead of invadeing someone else s thread. Thanks

Back