Opinion

Harleylay

Reefing newb
I can buy a watts 5 premier reverse osmosis system for $50. The question is is it worth getting one of those or buy the water already made up at the local store for 98 cents a gallon? What ya think

If you plan on being in this hobbie for a long time..Get the ro system.
I have a 70gal tank, and two 30gal tanks. I can make water WHENEVER I want, and its very simple to do. I also know where my water is coming from. You just have to buy the salt. I'd suggest buying in bulk.

The ro system I got was a 5 stage reverse osmosis filter for I think around 150$, and it makes cleaner water than I could ask for.

Hope this helps a little, good luck!

For a 90g tank, yes buying your own RO/DI system is totally worth it. That said, I don't know anything about that particular unit. I'd do some research and see what the reviews are. Make sure its one that totally distills your water and is not just for making drinking water. If that one is for drinking water, then I'd pass and look to get one from bulk reef supply - they run around $130

I am assuming for that price you are getting a used unit? If so, the 1st thing you want to do is replace all the filters, and that will run you well over $100. You might be better off just purchasing a brand new unit, unless of course you are getting a brand new unit at that great price.

At ~$1 a gallon you'd be spending $10 a week on water for water changes, which comes out to about $40 a month. A RO/DI system will pay for itself very quickly

I can buy a watts 5 premier reverse osmosis system for $50. The question is is it worth getting one of those or buy the water already made up at the local store for 98 cents a gallon? What ya think

You want more than a reverse osmosis (RO) system. For our tanks, you really want an RODI unit (reverse osmosis de-ionization).

Back