Opinions Needed?

khaotik

Reefing newb
Finally got pictures to what I would like for my setup. My main display is only going to be a 30 gallon. I will have that overflowing into the 20 gallon long I will be making into my refugium. The 10 gallon tank on top will be for my frags. I have been doing a lot of reading on building and setting up my refugium and am still not quite sure how the setup needs to be. There are so many different ways people have set theirs up. Any suggestions or links to what kind of refugium system would work best for what I would like. I am currently looking at an Eshopps overflow box, SWC cone skimmer, and I have one Mag 5 return pump. How do or should I figure out the precise overflow gallons to return. I do not have much room for error as I live in a small apartment and don't want to flood the thing. I appreciate everybodies help. Happy reefing!

Entire Setup:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 270
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 286
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 265
Looks good.

However, I wouldnt trust that wire rack with a tank on it. Water weighs 8 lbs a gallon. That looks like a 10 gallon tank. That would be 80 pounds on that one shelf on that rack. Minimum. Then add rocks, sand, live stock. It could get well over 100 pounds.

Also, missed the 20 gallon on the bottom shelf would add another 150 pounds. Maybe less since it will be a sump/fuge and not 100% full.

Total capacity is 700 lbs. I even reinforced the shelves at each pole to make sure. I figure the manufacturer overrates everything, so now maybe they can actually hold 300 lb per shelf. I tested it out by standing on it. I was impressed.

OK, should be good then:mrgreen:

As for the overflow, what is it rated at?
The pump should mathc as best you can to that overflow. Also, an over flow will only drain as fast as the pump is pumping. SO if the pump is rated for as much or less, it wont drain more than that. BUT, if the pump is rated too low, air bubles can collect in the top of the U-tube and break the syphon.

Get the height difference between the sump and the tank, then find a pump that matches the rate of your overflow at that head preasure. Most pumps will have a chart on them or available online to find the GPH of the pump at that height.

I personally would use two seperate pumps. One for each tank. That way you can take one off line and do maintanance on it while the other tank is running.

Not exactly sure how to go about it plumbing wise, but Im sure someone here will be able to help.

I would not be able to sleep at night if my tanks were on that wire rack..It seems like that thing would tip over easy...I know you said that it's rated at 700lbs. But that's 700lbs of boxes of cereal. You're going to have your hands in that tank all the time, water is going to be moving back and forth.

Just sayin':D

Back