Opinions on buying livestock online

FishTales

Reefing newb
I have never bought any livestock online but they seem to have much more than the local fish stores in my area. Anyone with good or bad experiences?

I would definitely advise to purchase online. Just do the research and make sure you're buying from a reputable place. Lot of us (reefers) purchase livestock online as our LFS usually don't have the diversity or quality we're looking for.

Very cool.....I'm glad I'm hearing good things. I really love the pictures and I can get EXACTLY what I want instead of just settling for what the fish store carries. Also.......how do the fish arrive? fedex or something? :)

I guess i'm an old fuddy duddyt(not really),but i have never bought any livestock on-line.I prefer to see and observe in my LFS,not to mention just giving the guy my buisness.If i need something he'll get it.Plus ,you build up trust and then maybe get a deal here and there.I just got a clown trigger for $65 ,i have'nt seen them on-line for less than 80....i can also get a purple tang for 75,if and when i'm ready.I suggest if you can,build up a good relationship with your LFS guy,and you'll be set.... but, good luck with however you get your fish...

I guess i'm an old fuddy duddyt(not really),but i have never bought any livestock on-line.I prefer to see and observe in my LFS,not to mention just giving the guy my buisness.If i need something he'll get it.Plus ,you build up trust and then maybe get a deal here and there.I just got a clown trigger for $65 ,i have'nt seen them on-line for less than 80....i can also get a purple tang for 75,if and when i'm ready.I suggest if you can,build up a good relationship with your LFS guy,and you'll be set.... but, good luck with however you get your fish...

Some of us don't have an LFS, the closest store with salt water fish is almost 2.5 hours away. That's a long trip especially not even knowing if it's going to be a good store with good livestock options

Yeah ,i understand that.My guy is about 50 minutes or so,its just a nice little family run place.He's been doing it for 30 + years,so i just want to do my part and help him out.

I'm planning on doing both. Our LFS has been doing this for over 15 years and I'd like to support him and do my part to keep the doors open. Plus in case of emergencies, you WANT a good report with the local guys. But there are things he won't have at a reasonable price, or can't get in at a good price, so I'll buy online.

I always buy all my livestock at the LFS. I want to be able to observe the fish to see how he is doing and also want to see him eat.Many a folk has taken a fish home only to find out he`s not eating prepared foods.

I'm one of those that has never bought livestock online to.
But I know my LFS can and will order anything I want.Plus it helps that 99.9% of the time,any livestock I bring home will only cost me a couple of hours helpping customers and bagging fish.

Back