Opinions on CUC?

tubz

Reefing newb
I am looking for input on what others recommend would be good for a clean up crew in my 90 gallon.
I have 2 nemos
1 black n white clown
1 foxface
1 yellow tang
1 coral beauty
2 blue/green chromis
1 diamond goby

1 skunk cleaner shrimp
1 fire shrimp
1 marble starfish
1 halloween hermit crab
and unkown amount of dwarf cerith snails and nass snails

I had a problem that any time I add a turbo snail they would die after about 4 days.
I think maybe nitrates, I am having a problem with green hair algaebut am starting to get it under control. Cut back on feeding to half a cube every other day
And after several large water changes and now weekly of 25% have been stable at 1o for nitrates.
got a phosphate test kit yesterday and that tested at .25
So I think I might order a gfo reactor for that issue.

But since my nitrates have been lower I think I might be able to get turbo snails to live now, but think I need more of a clean up crew than I have.

Any suggestions are welcome

Out of curiosity, how were you acclimating your turbos in the past? Also, turbos are known for stranding themselves - if they fall on their backs they can't right themselves and will die in a few days unless you turn them over. Not sure if this is applicable to what has happened to your past turbos, but I thought it was worth mentioning!

I did a very slow drip acclimation, probably about 2 and a half hours before I added them. And they didn't fall over on their back, they just quit moving aftyer days and died.

go to www.reefcleaners.org and click on the custom clean up crews tab at the top of the page. Fill out all the information for your tank and in the comments box I would just explain briefly your algae problem and details of your tank including the existing CUC, and John will email you his recommendation for your tank. Even if you don't buy your CUC from that site you will at least have a list to work off of. You will find great reviews for that website all over these forums.

I am looking for input on what others recommend would be good for a clean up crew in my 90 gallon.
I have 2 nemos
1 black n white clown
1 foxface
1 yellow tang
1 coral beauty
2 blue/green chromis
1 diamond goby

1 skunk cleaner shrimp
1 fire shrimp
1 marble starfish
1 halloween hermit crab
and unkown amount of dwarf cerith snails and nass snails

I had a problem that any time I add a turbo snail they would die after about 4 days.
I think maybe nitrates, I am having a problem with green hair algaebut am starting to get it under control. Cut back on feeding to half a cube every other day
And after several large water changes and now weekly of 25% have been stable at 1o for nitrates.
got a phosphate test kit yesterday and that tested at .25
So I think I might order a gfo reactor for that issue.

But since my nitrates have been lower I think I might be able to get turbo snails to live now, but think I need more of a clean up crew than I have.

Any suggestions are welcome

Your phosphates at 0.25 are high enough to grow algae. Cheato or a phosphate reactor are the best way to get rid of it.

I have never had any luck with turbos either. They usually just die within a short amount of time.

I would get some peppermint shrimp as well

Back