Opinions on fish food

khaotik

Reefing newb
I would like to buy my first fish today. All my levels are back to normal and ready to buy my first fish for my tank. I've read all about the diets for certain fish but my god are there a lot of different foods at the store. My question is does anyone have a particular favorite they like or stand by. Maybe brand wise. My bad, I was thinking of getting a clownfish. I read that they need a varied diet. Any suggestions would be helpful. I do like the stock of the Omega 1 that my LFS has. Is this a very good brand food?

You are better off feeding frozen foods, not flakes or pellets. Flakes and pellets contain preservatives which can lead to algae growth. There are tons of different frozen foods. If you're looking for a good all-in-one brand, then Rod's Food comes in freezer packs and would be great for a clown. If your LFS doesn't carry Rod's food, then you can get a few different packs -- mysis, Marine Cuisine, krill, and fortified brine are all good.

I believe frozen foods may have ich in them. The ability of parasites to reanimate after being frozen is well known. But frozen foods are more readily eaten by your fish. Blood worms cannot have ich in them.

Try to feed your fish 5 different foods.

I feed my tank just about the same foods we eat...
table shrimp
scallops
clams
spinach
broccoli
zucchini
These are just a few...my tank gets about 15 different foods on a rotating schedule

The majority of the food I feed is Rods Food.The original,veggie blend,coral pack and plankton packs.The original blend has everything.....nori,shrimp,mysis,squid,cycops,vitamins,oyster eggs plus many more.

Variety is the key. I feed mine Flake, vitamin fortified Brine (frozen), frozen mysis, and dried seaweed. Nothing wrong with frozen just thaw it out and try to pour out the water before adding to the tank.

Back