Opinions on my fish choices for my 33 gallon reef

koda_dad

Mr. Paranoid
Hi all,

I am thinking about where i am going as far as fish goes...

I currently have 1 Picasso Clown with another on the way.

I am thinking of adding the following.

1. Helfrichi Firefish
2. Bluespot Jawfish

for the last fish....I am torn...

3. Looking at some kind of fairy wrasse or a Pyjama Cardinal (I am actually leaning towards the cardinal)

Opinions?

If you go with jawfish,make sure that you have a tight fitting lid.That is one fish that loves to carpet surf and get through a real small hole.

My pajama sits out all day, floats around, never hides. Tons of rock for him if he wanted too. I love mine to death and that is why he is my PJ.

The school of pajamas at my LFS are pretty active in the daytime...but they have been in that 250g DT for some number of years..

If the jawfish can fit through the holes in the eggcrate, then it WILL. :) I like the cardinal, he should be pretty visible, but I like the look of the jawfish too.

Aren't wrasses typically mean though? that is my main concern as well as it being too large for a 33?

I love the way they look... just worried about temperament.

Bluespot Jawfishes are beautiful but extreme jumpers. Eli (I think) and I have both lost one in the past 6 months due to jumping. :(

For me, he was in my Red Sea Max which has a hood. I had it open and turned for a moment to get something and when I came back I squished him on the floor. :shock:
He was $80.00 so it was a sad day.

I have also lost a blue spot to jumping in the last 6 months. I have a tight fitting glass lid over my entire tank. I still don't know how he jumped-- the lid was closed, but he got out somehow. maybe they can phase through solid glass....

This is annoying...but I just found out that my local store is no longer able to get me my replacement Picasso. Now they have given me a credit and will take the other one back for credit too.. if I want to do that as they know I wanted a pair.

Problem is now I have no idea what to do.

Should I just return the one I have and get something else entirely? Just pick up a regular non Picasso clown and hope they pair up and only have the one Picasso? Keep waiting and hope I can find another Picasso soon?

What would you do?

If it were me and I had my mind set on a Picasso, then I would wait. You're going to have your fish for several years, even if you have to wait a few months to get what you want you'll enjoy it that much more for the next few years. Instead of always thinking in the back of your mind that you wanted the other kind.

if the next one you get is smaller, it should pair ... or you could just use your cerdit for a new fish altogether and get your pair from somewhere else

if the next one you get is smaller, it should pair ... or you could just use your cerdit for a new fish altogether and get your pair from somewhere else

I am leaning towards that... the prob is they cant get anything I want...

Back