Opinions on sexy shrimp and serpent sea stars

cms722

Reefing newb
Are they good together? I like the way the sexy shrimp look and have been thinking about getting two of them for my tank. I also love the serpent stars. My LFS has a purple one that is gorgeous that I want. Anything I should know?

I can't answer as far as the sexy shrimp go. But, my serpents have been fine with my cleaner and fire shrimps.

Yes, sexy shrimp do best in groups of 3 or more

Well I went to my lfs today and got two. Should I have gotten three? I figured the serpent stars hide alot. My lfs said they'll just eat anything that falls to the bottom. But is there anything I should know about feeding/caring for the shrimp or the stars? Thanks ahead of time guys.

Thor ambionensis is a carnivores shrimp and its diet will generally change from wild to captive specimens. In the wild sexy shrimp feed primarily on anemones mucus covered tentacles that trap planktonic organisms and other matter. In the aquarium the sexy shrimp is a scavenger that roams around a small predetermined radius in search of food remnants to eat.
Sexy shrimp are very easy to keep and cost effective to feed, a daily feeding is recommended to keep your sexy shrimp happy, active, and away from the temptation to pick at zoanthids and other coral. Will pick at zoanthids and also consume them, remember eating anemone tips is part of there diet in nature and a zoanthid may look like a miniature anemone. This behavior can be curved by keeping the shrimp properly fed.

Last edited:
My sexy shrimp are eating my LPS corals, not my zoas, its something that you should keep in mind. I also recommend a group closer to 5, they really do like to be in a group. Even in my 46 gal, they are all right together.

Can I add more later or do you guys think it would be a problem? I heard somewhere they should all be introduced together

I don't think it would matter...

Also, my serpennt star likes it when I feed him something meaty every once in a while. :)

I have a pack of frozen squid that I break a piece off of once in a while (every week or 2) and give a piece to my serpent star and pistol shrimp :) even my emerald crabs like to grab a chunk sometimes! :D

Well that's good to know. I am curious though. Seeing the sexy shrimp are so small and from what I understand, they don't get too big, can I put hermit crabs and emerald crabs in as part of my CuC or could that be bad? Lol

Ok, that's a relief. Cuz I had wanted a few emerald crabs but then when I realized how small the sexy shrimp stay I thought I'd have to change plans. I'm glad I don't.

Back