Opinions on the new IO gel food?

Discussion in 'Reef Fishes' started by Solarfall, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Solarfall

Solarfall Totally Gnar

I havn't really been on here in awhile so excuse me if this has already been brought up, but a guy I know gave me some of the new Instant Ocean gel food that he got for free in a bucket of IO salt.

If you don't know what it is, check it out. It's kind of like frozen foods, but without the...freezing. My fish are loving it, but I can't help but wonder what kind of preservatives are in there that could harm my tank. The "Crude Protein % etc.." chart on the back says Phosphorus - .5%, which would lead me to believe it could accumulate phosphates over time, but I do have a fuge and do weekly 15% waterchanges, havn't seen any problems yet as far as algae or anything, and I've been using the marine blend (primarily krill, mysis, and brine) and cyclops gel food every other day, where I feed frozen on the off days.

So uhhh, anyone try this stuff yet? It's really super convenient compared to thawing cubes and stuff, but I have a feeling it's just too good to be true.

Solarfall, Apr 20, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Solarfall

ccCapt Reef Hacker Moderator

1. Advertisements

3. Solarfall

Solarfall Totally Gnar

haha oh, guess I should've sifted around a bit more.

So is the problem people are having that the stuff comes out in too big of chunks? The only fish I have the will eat regular foods regardless are my pair of clowns and they love it, they just rip the big chunks into smaller ones. I wouldn't really expect my dwarf lion or mandarin to eat the stuff anyway.

But as far as the composition of this stuff, is there anything I should worry about?

Solarfall, Apr 20, 2010
  4. Solarfall

Reefrookie Not so new anymore! VIP Member

I tried it and nothing in my tank ate it. I mean nothing! I got 2 free blister packs at a frag swap from the IO rep.

yes, IMO its is too good to be true

Reefrookie, Apr 20, 2010
  5. Solarfall

Bifferwine I am a girl

My fish ate it. Maybe because I don't feed them very often, so they're not very picky when something drops into the tank!

Bifferwine, Apr 20, 2010
  6. Solarfall

dcantucson

I'm sure IO has done their homework on this stuff as far as safety. I have several different kinds of this stuff and it is my least favorite way to feed. I put it in some tank water to break it up first and then my fish will eat it. My fish will eat almost anything. I feed such a variety that when I put something in there the fish just know to eat it. I have not found anything they won't eat.

dcantucson, Apr 20, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question