Opinions on the new IO gel food?

Solarfall

Totally Gnar
I havn't really been on here in awhile so excuse me if this has already been brought up, but a guy I know gave me some of the new Instant Ocean gel food that he got for free in a bucket of IO salt.

If you don't know what it is, check it out. It's kind of like frozen foods, but without the...freezing. My fish are loving it, but I can't help but wonder what kind of preservatives are in there that could harm my tank. The "Crude Protein % etc.." chart on the back says Phosphorus - .5%, which would lead me to believe it could accumulate phosphates over time, but I do have a fuge and do weekly 15% waterchanges, havn't seen any problems yet as far as algae or anything, and I've been using the marine blend (primarily krill, mysis, and brine) and cyclops gel food every other day, where I feed frozen on the off days.

So uhhh, anyone try this stuff yet? It's really super convenient compared to thawing cubes and stuff, but I have a feeling it's just too good to be true.

haha oh, guess I should've sifted around a bit more.

So is the problem people are having that the stuff comes out in too big of chunks? The only fish I have the will eat regular foods regardless are my pair of clowns and they love it, they just rip the big chunks into smaller ones. I wouldn't really expect my dwarf lion or mandarin to eat the stuff anyway.

But as far as the composition of this stuff, is there anything I should worry about?

So uhhh, anyone try this stuff yet? It's really super convenient compared to thawing cubes and stuff, but I have a feeling it's just too good to be true.

I tried it and nothing in my tank ate it. I mean nothing! I got 2 free blister packs at a frag swap from the IO rep.

yes, IMO its is too good to be true

I'm sure IO has done their homework on this stuff as far as safety. I have several different kinds of this stuff and it is my least favorite way to feed. I put it in some tank water to break it up first and then my fish will eat it. My fish will eat almost anything. I feed such a variety that when I put something in there the fish just know to eat it. I have not found anything they won't eat.

Back