Opinions on what to add to my CUC?

Slayer

Reefing newb
Hey all,

can anyone advise on a perfect or ideal CUC for a 24 gallon nano cube?

Currently I have a sand sifting starfish, 3 snails and 2 crabs. I have lost a few snails and crabs hence it being so low.

What would good additions be to what I already have and how much more could I add?

Thanks!

mixture of different snails is best. Scarlett hermits are nice too. emerald crab? not sure how many (snails) but i like a fairly large CUC in my reef

I love my turbo snail! It just plowed through my problem algae!!! I made sure I secured my rock work with epoxy to make sure I didn't have any avalanches. How does the sand shifting star fish do at its job?

The starfish turns the sans over nicely and has stopped the odd growth of red algae on the sand.

How many snails overall in a 24gallon, same question with the crabs?

I have a 29 gal, with 1 turbo snail, 1 astraea snail, 5 nassarius snails, and 5 dwarf hermits. I think I need to get another turbo, and maybe the sand shifting starfish. I'm not sure if there is a rule of thumb with CUC. I think if you have problem areas like algae, or high readings (like you are over feeding) get what your system needs. CUC really don't add to the bioload much because they are eating uneaten food and algae, just don't get to many snails and crabs that they will starve to death.

Please dont get a sand sifting star fish, very few tanks have sand beds large enough to support them and they end up dying. Instead, get a brittle or serpent star. They are great members of your CUC and most likely wont starve.

I already have the sans sifter and he has been fine for 2-3 months now. If that comment was aimed at me!

I am going to go to my LFS tomorrow but still can't decide on what to get!

Oh right!

My LFS told me he would be fine so I guess we will see soon! I hope he stays ok. If anything does happen I would certainly get something else for turning the sand over...

So I am thinking about 3 more snails and 3 more crabs? Any specific snails or crabs to avoid?

Nass snails are much better for turning the sand over, and LFS will commonly sell you things you dont need or shouldnt buy because they either 1. dont know themselves, they just work there 2. they dont care, they just want to sell you something. They are a business after all.

I really like astraea snails, turbos are great too. Hermits are great too, and an emerald is a good choice too. Stay away from margarita snails, they are a cold water snail and will boil to death in a few months.

Ill tell you, no matter how long it takes, that sand sifting star WILL die. All i have done for the past year is hear the stories, and eventually they just rot in your sand bed!

Just get an assortment of snails. Im over hermit crabs, they grow big, kill snails for shells and are just irritating. We dont get any crabs here but i heard having 1 emerald crab is good because they kill certain algaes

Back