Options for not having a quarantine tank

BigFishy

Reefing newb
I was thinking of getting a Yellow Belly Tang. I know they are very prone to ick. I don’t have enough space in my apartment to get a quarantine tank and the g/f won’t let put another tank in the house.

What are your options for quarantining a fish if you do not have a quarantine tank? Do you just have to try your luck. Maybe put him in the sump? Joking

As of now, I haven't had ick in my tank yet.

I think the yellow belly is one of the tangs that requires 6 feet of swimming space... I don't know that your 70 would be large enough for him.

That being said, I've never qt'ed any of my fish, but I know lots of people do. And the sump wouldn't work. It's the same water...

Here's a thought ...

I put any new fish in the sump with temps up to 83 degrees with a really strong UV light and keep them in there for 2 weeks.

That was a joke ... but really, is my only option to wing it?

If you didnt QT any of your other fish, you already have it in your tank. Many of us dont QT our fish, and just make sure that they are living in optimal conditions which helps prevent outbreaks, and if something does happen they have a high chance of recovery.

I dont know if your tank size is of optimal conditions for that fish.

The yellow belly would definitely need a bigger tank then a 70g, it'll get to be a foot long. But, if you want to QT the fish, you could just use a large rubbermaid container (no need to have a tank). Also, If you have any fish in your tank now they'll need to be quarantined and your tank would have to stay fishless for 8 weeks to kill the parasites that are already in your tank.

Well, I'm debating on the fish still which seems to go further and further away from a tang, but none the less my only option is to wing it and strive for optimal living conditions.

I think you can easily get optimal living conditions in your tank!

Just keep good water quality, dont overstock your tank, feed a variety of quality food, and make sure that your fish are a good group together (ie dont put a small peaceful fish in with a bunch of established aggressive fish), and make sure that the fish in your tank are appropriate for your tank.

This article may help some, check out the last section on identifying why you have ich.
https://www.livingreefs.com/oh-no-have-ich-do-do-t30950.html

The are greater and lesser LFSs! Some quarantine all fish and many do not. Think how expensive it is for a smaller business to quarantine all fish for 6 weeks before sale.

Back