Orange and Black Batfish

Jenna09

Reefing newb
Have you guys had a ridiculous amount of captive bred beautiful orange and black bat fish hit the market in any of your areas?

Here in the Toronto/Barrie Ontario area there are 100's of them from a captive breeder (from where I don't know).

They are gorgeous and apparently do great in captivity, eat frozen and breed like crazy.

I was going to take a picture of them but when I went back they had sold over 20 in 2 days and another store sold over 60 in 3 days! But here is what they look like (pic from the internet):

217635137_949266f66d.jpg

$49.99 each

Maybe this is something already done in the states, but up here it is very new and people are going crazy for them!

Jenna

Last edited:
I have not seen those in stores here! But I only have two LFS in town, and I don't get the impression they are very "cutting edge". That is a super cool looking fish. I would get a couple for my tank!

They had them all in separate tanks or they had setup make-shift dividers to separate them so I am thinking they must have to be the only one of their kinds in the tank.

They are gorgeous in person, so much nicer than the picture!

I am heading into Toronto tmm and going to the store that sold over 60 and see if they have anymore.

Jenna

Hmmm,that looks like a pinnatus batfish and my old LFS had one a few years ago that died shortly after getting it in....i have always read they are extremely difficult to keep,and they get HUGE.... tall actually ...Would be interesting to have one ,but i would like to know if they are somehow becoming easier to keep

I questionned why there were so many because I know they do not do well in captivity and they said there is some breeder who has been able to successfully breed this kind and have them thrive in captivity. They don't order anyother kinds these days because they always die in a few weeks-months.

I don't know how big they get or anything else about them lol because I know they would not do well in my RSM 130D or in my future puffer tank lol

Jenna

That's a juvenile platax pinnatus batfish. I don't know about captive bred one's, but wild caught don't live long in home aquariums. They grow to about 18" and don't look anything like they do as juveniles, in fact they are quite ugly as adults. They are not reef safe either.

When I go to my lfs tmm I will see what they say and if they know what they are talking about because from what people have said here I am thinking they have no idea about this particular fish and it's needs.

I am also wondering if they are truly captive bred from the info here and what I got off of google!

Jenna

I am also wondering if they are truly captive bred from the info here and what I got off of google!

I wonder that too. Does it sound like a LFS accidentally ordered a bunch of them and are saying whatever they think they need to tell customers to get rid of them?

thats def a baby pinnatus batfish... they don't stay as pretty nor do they do well in our home aquariums... and they can be over 20" TALL. I'm also pretty sure they are not reef safe. one of the LFS' I go to in a different town had someone bring one in from their home tank and it was in horrible shape... they are pretty but should stay in the ocean. I'd avoid it regardless of what they say.

Ok, I went in today and they are tank bred baby pinnatus batfish. They still say these ones do great in the home aquarium and eat great.

I don't think they really know much about them and "the person I should ask" wasn't working today.

So I am thinking everyone's opinions about them are probably true.

Jenna

It says they are being captive bred in Indonesia. I wonder if, since that article came out, there is someone on this continent doing it too?

My LFS said that those fish don't keep the orange when they grow older that it is more prevalent in the juveniles and turns to brown as they get older. They get really tall too.

They had a Bat fish at my LFS not sure which kind but it had to be 15"+ tall. It was very ugly IMO, but impressive. Came in on trade, I was not intrested so I did ask any questions. Guess I should have taken a pic for you guys, SORRY.

Back