Orange Star

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
I got this guy as a freebie with my TBS order.
Is there anything I can do to try and prolong his survival?
Any way to feed him? I tried to squirt some thawed Rod's Food under him with little to no response and most of the food just floated away. Tried shoving a little piece of nori under him and no go with that either.

Sorry, I only have the really close view and the far away view.
But where you see him on the glass is generally where he stays. That area of the glass gets the most flow, too. He's been back and forth on both sides of that corner of the tank and when I've tried to put him on the sand or rock he just ends up back there on the glass.

775634718_WJy8Q-O.jpg

775948132_vAsjF-O.jpg

I've heard you can put seaweed sheets under them but they DO need supplemental feeding if you want them to live more than a year.

BTW, got a thread on that tank of yours?

Thanks, Ursula... i hope so too!

Stars eat by extruding their stomach over the food. It would be on the bottom side of the star
That's what i thought, but with him on the glass like that i can see everything and it didn't look like he had much of a mouth in the center so I didn't know if maybe he was filtering through tiny holes all over his legs too. :12:

From the pictures it looks like a orange linckika seastar. Sadly if this is true there probably is not much hope for your star. They are one of the harder ones to keep. They feed on bacterial film, so its best not to add one till after a year or so. Another thing is there are parasidic snails that can attach to these stars that need to be removed immediately and can blend in with same color.

Hopefully you acclimated him very slowly they are really sensative to changes in ph levels. I have always wanted to get one but figured I wouldn't have luck. A reverse lit fuge would probably help with future swings in ph, but as your tank is sooo new I'm guessing the bacterial film (he will be looking for on the glass) is few and far between.

Is this what he looks like. http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g128/ReefneckWidow/100_0647.jpg

Hmm I wonder if this is what Alexander says it is. Dont you still have another tank? Maybe put some plexi glass in the old tank to get some bacteria film on it and transfer that over to feed this guy. I would think maybe 6 sheets in the old tank then after a few days try moving one over every day to feed this star on. Just a idea but might work.

What your star is doing,is feeding on something thats on the surface of your water.Dissolved proteins or something,not really sure on that.But if you'll look close at his arms thats outstretched,you'll see his tube feet slowly working what ever it is toward his mouth.:D

Ya, he keeps hanging out at the top and his arms do a 90 degree bend at the water surface so they are upside down and the underneath of them are breaking the surface of the water.

I'll bet that if you turned your pumps and stuff off to let the water stop moving,you'd see a film on the water surface.Thats what the star is feeding on.

Interesting.

Well i guess now the question is... is that enough food?! Which brings me back to my original question... is there anything I can feed him to supplement?

Back