Orangish red worm

Wear gloves when messing with your rock and substrate now though, they are devilish little things with a sting on em if you brush up against them.

Yes their bristles are left on things and can get embedded into your skin on your fingers and cause a week long irritation. It goes without saying, don't pick one up bare handed.

If you've had insulation stuck in your fingers,then you already know how common bristle worm stings feel.But some types can be as bad as a bee sting to.

Look like this? If so it`s a bristle worm.

bristleworm2.jpg

Bristle worms are like roaches.For every one you see,there are 50 hidden somewhere that you cant see.:D

that little worm scared the hell out of me lol i said to myself i didnt put him in here crawled right over my finger and i jumped and my wife laughed at me

some bristle worms are beneficial but MOST ARE NOT, if you have any coral or other inverts in your tank it is highly advisable to remove them ASAP as they multiply rapidly and in large numbers can and will kill corals and other inverts, your local pet store should sell a bristle worm trap about $10 or you can make your own, or there are several fish that eat these pests, Strawberry dottybacks are great for this but if the worm is over 2 inches a trap is the only way to go, I highly recommend getting rid of them,

Hogwash! :lol: That's not even remotely near the truth. Bristleworms won't eat anything unless it's dead or already dying. They are scavengers and one of the most valuable members of a clean up crew you can have. 99.9% of bristleworms are safe. Fireworms are a type to be afraid of, but those are extremely rare.

There are tons of different species of bristleworms. The vast majority of them are harmless. But, fireworms are not. Fireworms are bright red, whereas bristleworms are usually tan/pink/gray. Fireworms also look fuzzier and have little beard-like tufts. Bristleworms don't. Bristleworms often get misidentified as fireworms. Sucks for them. :(

Here is a fireworm:
redFireworm.jpg

Fireworm_1280.jpg

Bristleworms are much more dull looking and not as fuzzy:
bristleworm.jpg

bristleworm.jpg

Back