Ordering direct

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
So we have this small pet store right near my house called Pet Depot. They are a franchise. They have mostly cat/dog stuff and some freshwater tanks like Pet Smart. But recently they started getting in saltwater fish. And their stuff always seems to be pretty cheap. For instance, once I picked up some Peppermint shrimp for $99 each when they are like 6 bucks at the other LFS'.
But I don't really trust buying anything major from them because I question whether they really know what they are doing.

So yesterday we ran in there to get some natural dog food that we can't get elsewhere, and we got to play with some awesome german shepards from the rescue group that was there. I then wandered over to the saltwater section to see if they had any other screamin deals and a guy was doing tank maintenance. I started talking to him and he told me that if there was anything I wanted... anything... just tell him and he would order it for me. They place orders on Sunday and get their shipment on Tuesday. It wouldn't cost me anything for shipping, and he would give it to me straight out of the box, instead of acclimating it to his system and then having to acclimate it to my system. So basically it would be like ordering straight from Live Aquaria but no shipping!

This is the place they order from, and he was going on about how great they are and how they were lucky to get in with them.
http://www.segrestfarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.catGroups&CategoryID=3

Ever hear of them? What do you think? I'd love to give it a try because I can never find specific fish locally when I'm looking for them and I wouldn't have to drive all over town, either.

I dont know dennis, I just looked through some of their tang photos and they look like some seriously unhealthy animals. All of the corals are browned out. Keep an eye out and see what the store gets in stock and how healthy it looks before ordering direct, just my two pennies.

Segrest is the largest supplier of aquatic life, or so they say.

They are the supplier for all Petco stores. Don't get me wrong, you can sometimes get decent stuff.... but yeah, when I was discussing setting up a store I planned NOT to use segrest.

The store I help at got one order from segrest.2 days later,over half the order had died.
I'd dodge em like they had the plague.

Back