Over Feeding???

Yoda_022

Reefing newb
So I have a 26 Gallon with 2 False Percs(1 inch), 1 Blackray Goby(1 inch), 1 Yellow tail Damsel(1 inch), and a Royal Gramma (1.5 inch). I'm always worried that i'm over feeding or under feeding. I will usually feed once in the morning and once at night. Is that to much, to little, or just right?

Probably. I think most of us do. I recently found out that a lot of the members feed only once a week, or month. Some feed every 3 or so days. I was in the habit of feeding twice a day too and am now trying to cut that down. I think with a smaller tank you have to feed more often but twice a day is probably too much.

I feed them mysis shrimp...usually i'll just cut about 3 or 4 little pieces off and drop them in the tank. everything looks like it's being eaten...I think.

If everything looks like it's being eaten, you're fine. That said, your fish won't starve if you only feed them once a day. In a smaller tank, you do need to feed more often since there usually isn't enough live food to keep them happy.

i feed mine every 2 or 3 days. Plenty of stuff in the tank (pods, left overs, etc.) . I prefer them doing a little searching for food themselves then to always depend on a daily feeding. My clowns scan the tank all day long for food.

+1 all the above posts.
In a small tank,the fish will wipe out all the live foods pretty quick,so you'll probably have to feed at least once a day to keep your fish healthy.

I know nobody has mentioned this yet........ I kinda didn't want too. Was going to pass by this thread since Ryan gets testy when I hammer anybody. :mrgreen:

You're overstocked in my opinion.

The clowns are going to get big enough to need a 75g tank in a couple years. The damsel will get to 3" or 4". The goby is going to grow out to 2" and the royal gramma could get up to 3", but usually no more than 2" in a tank.

Thats a WHOLE lotta fish in a 26g tank. My rule of thumb is 1" per 10g of water. You've already got 5.5" of fish bodies in there. In a year you're looking at 7" or even 8" of fish. How'd you like to live in a bathroom stall with 4 people? :shock:

They might be okay now, while they are small. But you are still feeding a lot for all those fish. They HAVE to eat. And that many fish is going to produce quite a lot of waste (poop). That puts quite a load on your biological filter. Do you have at least 30-35lbs of live rock in the tank? Refugium with a DSB and macro algae?You need to start planning your upgrade for next year or knuckle up now and get rid of 1/2 your fish. If you want to keep all those fish I think you're going to need a 75g tank and NOT buy anymore fish. If you want more fish, then a 100g++ tank is in your future. Better start saving for the lights and skimmer now.

The clowns are going to get big enough to need a 75g tank in a couple years.

I think this might be a little off. 2 Ocellaris Clownfish do not need a 75 gallon tank. I also think the 1" of fish per 10 gallons is a bit off too. 3" adult size per 10 gallons seemed to be a better mark.

I just don't believe in stocking up to max limits, so I play it more conservative than most. More fish equals more food and more waste in the tank. That means more nitrates and excess nutrients. That leads to nuisance algae. Hell with that!! :grumble:

Either way, I still think he's overstocked in the tank. Better start saving for the lights and skimmer for the bigger tank..... or get rid of some fish if there are no plans to upgrade.

I got ONE little tiny clown in my 30g tank and really have no desire for another fish. Okay, maybe ONE little fish that won't exceed 2" when fully grown, but that would be my absolute MAX in a 30g tank. I wouldn't mind some shrimp and other inverts, but Nemo is going to get 3" or 4" long and thats probably enough fish for a 30g tank.

Either way, I still think he's overstocked in the tank. Better start saving for the lights and skimmer for the bigger tank..... or get rid of some fish if there are no plans to upgrade.

I don't disagree. He is a little overstocked. I just didn't want him to think he needs to get a 75 gallon for 2 small fish.

Back