Over Priced Fish Griping

KidJ57

Struggling Reef Addict
After seeing the threads https://www.livingreefs.com/platinum-clowns-t20657.html and https://www.livingreefs.com/whoa-beautiful-crazy-looking-butterfly-fish-t20647.html I thought it might be fun to start a thread dedicated to over-priced fish :grumble: that people find on their favorite sites.

Who knows this might turn into a fun "dream fish" thread where one could dream up the "if I had a million dollars"-tank; or better yet, we should have a competition for who could design and stock (not literally obviously) the most expensive but smallest tank with actual items and pricings that they find on the web...I don't know, something to think about while you're bored and don't have any posts to respond to...not that such a situation would ever occur :shock:

To start things off...someone want to tell explain to me the $830 price difference between these two basslets?

Drs. Foster and Smith Diver's Den - Liopropoma rubre
Drs. Foster and Smith Diver's Den - Liopropoma carmabi

Definitely love the color of the Candy Basslet, but $900 for a 2-inch fish? That's $450/inch!!!! :shock:...oh, and I've made enough dirty jokes the last few days to the point of naussium, so I'll leave that one to someone else if they are so bold as to take it :mrgreen:

So you got an extra $100 in your pocket now?:mrgreen:

I didn't mean to use the joke in an insult against me!!!! :pissedof:

Then again....good one :grumble:

I would guess that the neon colored one is extremely rare to find.

But yeah 900 for a fish, I would justget a bigger tank!!!

I'm sure it is rare to find, but you know what makes it more rare to find? Taking it out of it's habitat, sending it to Wisconson and SELLING IT FOR $900!!!! I really think that fish price should be based on how much it costs to house/transport the animal not at how random it is to find. If you're selling me a shark that eats 40lbs of tuna a day; then ya, go ahead, make me get a second mortgage to buy the damn thing, but just because you found a super colorful, tiny fish randomly doesn't mean you NEED to sell it; i'd rather give you $900 to go protect its habitat than to give it a chance in my tank.

for 900 bucks it better do house work. Even if i had the extra money I could get alot of cool looking stuff that would live then one that would probably die because no one knows how to care of it because its so rare. :twocents:

I don't know, I'm sure there are many men who'll tell you their wives cost more than $900 and they don't do housework.

A fish that sits around and does nothing but look pretty all day? What's the difference. :D

I don't know, I'm sure there are many men who'll tell you their wives cost more than $900 and they don't do housework.

A fish that sits around and does nothing but look pretty all day? What's the difference. :D
well I am pretty sure it has something to do with the sleeping arrangements.

I didn't mean to use the joke in an insult against me!!!! :pissedof:

Then again....good one :grumble:

Sorry kid, you couldnt expect me to pass an opening like that could you?:mrgreen:

But I do agree that they should keep these more exotic/rare fish where they belong. Or just collect enough so that they can be tank raised......

Brian

Since this is along the same lines, how about posting how much you have spent on a single fish (or coral)?

My most expensive fish I ever purchased was a Scribble Angel @ $229.00 plus $40 shipping. It was (I say was) a beautiful fish.

this fish is 3000 bucks when live aquaria has them

attachment.php

The difference: You can be sure that the fish won't end up in someone else tank unless you put it there :mrgreen:

this fish is 3000 bucks when live aquaria has them

attachment.php

I would almost spend the money for this one....that looks spectacular, but then again, I always figured if I spent that kind of money for a fish in my tank it would be for an eel, lionfish, or shark

That fish is on my list! The Gem tang. I know that i will have one some day. I had the oportunity to get one for $1200.

Most fish that have a high price tag is because they are collected in deep waters, so the diver can only make one dive that day so he needs to make it worth his/her time. As well as certain fish only come from certain area's that only allow collected a few times a year.

My most expensive fish in my tank is probably my koi tang I paid $500. for her. I know I am sick in the head, but love the rare and unusual.

Aint that the truth:grumble:

well I am pretty sure it has something to do with the sleeping arrangements.

I just hope she dont read this post:wink:

Back