Overflow Plumbing question

little_fish

Because my tank isnt drilled i need to use an overflow to get the water the water out the tank and over the algae scrubber. However im a little confused about the overflow.

I dont really get the difference between the two following overflow boxes, one just seems a whole lot more complicated. I think that the second one is suppose to automatically restart after a power failure, but not 100% sure about that. Also if it does, im not sure quite how it does it.

Reef Aquarium Filtration: Eshopps Overflow Boxes

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3642

thanks for the help!

well, the thing is with either is you really REALLY have to be carefull on the set up. reason being is that they HOB overflow's do have the potential to over flow your sump if the power goes out. we set one up on a buddy's 46 bow front so let me check it out and get back to ya. (to many beer's that night) but hey, it work's great..

Thank you for the warning. The solution to that i have found is to drill a safety hole in the tube just below the water line, so that it introduces air into the line stopping the suction.

That second option doesn't use a tube to pull the water out... You just need to make sure that if your power goes out however much water comes out of the tank can be held by the sump

I have one like the eshopps. It does restart by its self every time I do a water change. As far as an over flow problem. Just set the over flow at a level that the sump can handele it, when power goes out. My sump runs about 1/3 full during operation. When i do a water change i just shut the return pump off . The sump then fills to about 3/4 full before the tanks water line goes below the overflow box. The tube keeps its suction and starts flowing again as soon as the water flows back into the over flow. I hope that makes sense!!!

Back