Overflow Plumbing

Sammydog

Reefing newb
Quick question.

I've just ordered my new 3x2x2 (90 gallon approx) tank that will have a corner weir. I was planning on having (after taking onto account the bulkheads) a 25mm pipe for the Durso Stand Pipe, and a smaller 20mm pipe for a return.

I'm now wondering if I should have factored in another hole for an emergency overflow drain. A few discussions with friends with tanks and the LFS all suggested that the corner weir wouldn't really have the space for three holes and bulkheads and that I really shouldn't have any issues with the drain suddenly blocking.

So, would you be concerned about a lack of emergency overflow. I'm thinking with regular inspections the drain shouldn't just block suddenly.

Would a solution be to run the emergency drain from the 20mm pipe and have my return come up behind the tank? Would the 20mm pipe be up to the job of an emergency overflow.

Its too late to change the order as the tank should be in tomorrow. I have spent months researching before I ordered and now I have a sinking feeling I should have gone with two 25mm holes.

a back up is always best and is the tank glass or acrylic and if glass is it tempered if the glass is not tempered it can be drilled to add a third hole

Tank is glass. Space in the overflow is more the issue with respect to the third hole.

I am happy enough to run the return on the outside of the tank and over the top as it won't be seen. Question now is more about whether the 20mm should be the Durso or the Emergency overflow.I might build it up with the 20mm (0.8") as the Durso and test the tank with fresh water and see how it all functions, but any advise from people who have a 20mm pipe would be appreciated.

i run 2- 3/4" return lines on mt 55gal one is the main and the other is the back up and im pushing about 750 gph into the tank from my return if this helps you

That does help a lot. Thank you.

My tank will be 90gal and I was looking in the order of 650gph into the tank via the return, so on that the pipe sizes should be fine. I'll just do the plumbing so the return is external to the tank and comes over the side.

Back