Overflow Problem...

maybe somone else can chime in here. I'm not sure if they get clogged or have trouble maintiaining siphon in normal conditions. i wouldn't think so.

looks good. i have something similar but it goes directly into a backpack wet/dry. you're not going to have siphon issues. getting it started is a learning process but not bad. You use a little airline hose and insert it so it is at the apex of teh U-tube. you need to have the HOB compartment filled and the overflow filled. you then suck it until the water meets at the top. it will take some practice. I bang the u-tube up and down to help work out any bubbles.

If I get an HOB overflow I'll have to do some changes to the lid and the plumbing. :12: But that shouldn't be too hard. :D

keep in mind as the filters clog so will the flow rate. i would use them initially but you might wind up removing them or changing the material or whatever.

Is their a way for me to install my own corner overflow? But then I'll have an extra hole. :12:

Oh and it's tempered glass so I won't be able to drill anymore holes. I totally got cheated buying this tank. $400 for a 75 gallon stand and a 65 gallon tank...

I didn't realize you already have the hole(s) in the tank with the pipe and overflow. Duh. Can you take a picture of the tank so we can see where the holes are located? You might be able to make something work here. Forget the HOB for now.

is that a repaired crack in the overflow box? the current set up is a little troubling. if that box fails and your sump is not big enough.....water everywhere right???

ok i think i know what the issue is,get rid of the elbow in the box,just use a 2 to 3 inch piece of pipe,and when the water gets to the top of the pipe then it will drain without loosing the syphin,its the elbow thats causing the problem,you do not need a bigger box or anything

good point, the water in the box isn't dropping too far below the top of the elbow so if he ditches it it should be ok, damn your good. i still don't like that the overflow is cracked or at least it looks that way.

looks to me as well that its got a crack but that would be the least of the problem as far as the loosing suction,i would remove the elbow and put a slip coupling over the end piece thats left in the overflow,if i am seeing correctly it seems like the elbow might be whats holding the plumbing together,if so you would need a threded coupling on one side with the other being a slip coupling,oh and an o ring to seal it

The elbow is screwed in to another piece which is glued to the piping. I think it was screwed and then glued, so I can't screw it off. Do I need to cut it? It would be really hard cutting in the tank. :grumble:

yea i see it would need a new fitting. i'm not saying the crack would make it lose suction. my concern is if the actual box breaks off. that pipe is a few inches below the water surface especially if he removes the elbow so if the sump is not large enough and box breaks the water will wind up all over the floor.

yea i see it would need a new fitting. i'm not saying the crack would make it lose suction. my concern is if the actual box breaks off. that pipe is a few inches below the water surface especially if he removes the elbow so if the sump is not large enough and box breaks the water will wind up all over the floor.

It's glued pretty well. I don't think there's much more chance that it would break now versus when it wasn't broken.

Ergh, need to find a way to get that bloody elbow off...

it sounds like you might need to drain the tank no matter what decision you make. you either need to remove the pipe from the tank so you can modify or put a new one or come up with a new option such as your own corner flow wall. if you have a hole in the bottom of the tank in the corner then maybe you could just seal off the other one with a fitting??? i'm not sure what your tank looks like.

it seems very logical that removing the elbow is going to work, but I'm not 100% convinced. hopefully your effort pays off.

well with it glued you probably have to remove the fittings compleatly and just get new ones,they only cost a couple bucks for new fittings at lowes,i just got some for my sump build and i got several pieces including a quick disconect for 8 bucks

This is how it works:

scaled.php

Oh and on the right pipe goes the thing, but I took it off.

Back