overflow question

TRAUMA

Reefing newb
is their something I can put inside my overflow to quiet it down when the water falls threw it (ex. filter.sponge grow some alge?):dunno:

Ugg, I havent found a great method to solve that problem, but I have found running some egg crate across the top breaks up the water as it flows into it, preventing the toilet flush noise, but its still not super quite.

There's a thread on another forum where the guy made something out of PVC to quiet his overflow. When I get home from work tonight I can take a look for it.

There's a thread on another forum where the guy made something out of PVC to quiet his overflow. When I get home from work tonight I can take a look for it.
Is that the one where he used PVC instead of the U-shaped plastic tube? I believe he also drilled a small hole in the top then inserted a small check valve, siliconed it to seal it, then attached a short piece of air line to suck out the air to create a siphon. I think I saw it on you-tube.

Nope, that wasn't it. I totally forgot about this and never looked it up. I'll try and remember to look it up when I get home from work tomorrow again.

Measure your overflow and order a piece of 1/6 inch acryllic from a glass company. Put it on, voila it is quiet.

I have a great deal of experience with overflow problems... :grumble:

I found my overflow was emptying because I had used 1 1/2" piping which was sucking water down faster than the overflow could take water in so... I put a valve on it and closed it some to restrict the water flow going through the pipe, and now, problem solved! :D

I had a noisy overflow too. noise was coming from the top and noise was coming from my sump ( water and air rushing )

I have bottom drilled tank with a durso type drain DIY Durso Standpipe )
I adjusted basically 3 things ( and now the drain/return is quieter than my lights )

1st... ( and there were posts which advises against this for some reason ) was that I put an elbow ( 90 degree fitting ) right at the sump top... so I have a drain line coming from the tank then elbowed into the sump. This slightly slowed the return flow and stopped the rush of air/water noise completely.

2nd... I cut the drain line to be about 1 inch below the surface. Micro bubbles were reduced dramatically and there was no more gurgling noises.

3rd... I played with airline in the top of the durso drain. I have a hole and an airline similar to the link provided above.

I think all 3 played a collective role in making my system quiet.

Hope it helps.

Back