Overflow Suggestions Needed - New Tank

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
My current tank has an internal overflow and utilizes the Herbie setup with two drains, and then the return pipe. I really like this setup and would like to do a Herbie or Bean Animal on my next tank. But my next tank is going to be a completely different shape and this is where I am needing some advice.

I don't have exact dimensions yet, but this tank is going to be LONG. Something like 8 feet long. Maybe 3 ft tall. But the problem is I don't have too much depth to work with because I don't want it to stick into the room too far, and I don't have the option of going into the wall due to what's behind it. So if the tank could only be about 22" deep (front to back), what kind of overflow setup would you go with? Because of the depth problem, I would say my plumbing needs to exit the bottom of the tank, not out the back wall. Which means some sort of internal overflow box. Would you do one large center overflow on the back wall? Two corner overflows? Something else? For the sake of simplicity, I'm not considering a closed loop system at this time. But if you feel strongly about it, I'm willing to hear arguments on its behalf.

I want to make sure i have efficient/sufficient turnover and circulation as well as having a visually appealing setup. FWIW, the tank will be surrounded by cabinetry giving it a built-in look, but it will be bumped out a bit so there will be some side viewing as well.

TIA for the help!

I like corner overflows better because people tend to see the middle of the tank first, and if you have two you can have more freedom with adjustment rate. By exiting the bottom you mean drilling through the floor of the tank and having a PVC drain just raised up in the tank? That sounds like a really neat idea. I'm really looking forward to watching you build another masterpiece!

By exiting the bottom you mean drilling through the floor of the tank and having a PVC drain just raised up in the tank?

Ya, I always prefer drilling the bottoms. Saves space and no unsightly plumbing behind the tank.

Are you planning on moving your stuff from your old tank to the new one (RLK, Vortechs, Skimmer etc). And how many gallons are you thinking this new system will be?

Ya, moving whatever I can.
Gallons will depend on size which will depend on available space.
I know where it's going but haven't gotten to the point of taking exact measurements yet.
Bigger than my current tank but don't know yet how big.

I would do an external overflow on a peninsula style tank. You could either make it black or cover it it cabinetry. That way no plumbing would be seen and you can go tight to the wall. if you made it into the cabinet you could have the returns come through the other side of the tank.

I think the type of overflow would depend on if you want the overflow to be hidden and how you'll be setting up the rockwork really.

I know a lot of the people that do longer/larger builds go with closed loop for the fact that you can move more water more efficiently then with powerheads. Ive read that with MP40s they don't have enough power to be effective on 8ft tanks from end to end, you'd have to place a couple on the back to help out. Or possibly go up to the 60s those things are beasts.

I would do an external overflow on a peninsula style tank. You could either make it black or cover it it cabinetry. That way no plumbing would be seen and you can go tight to the wall. if you made it into the cabinet you could have the returns come through the other side of the tank.

It's not peninsula.
Think built-in, but surrounded by cabinetry/shelving rather than built into the wall.
I don't have the space in the room to have an external overflow out the back without giving up tank space.
I could possibly to external side overflows, but that may also eat up space that could be used for a longer tank. I'd have to do some measurements.

I think the type of overflow would depend on if you want the overflow to be hidden and how you'll be setting up the rockwork really.

I know a lot of the people that do longer/larger builds go with closed loop for the fact that you can move more water more efficiently then with powerheads. Ive read that with MP40s they don't have enough power to be effective on 8ft tanks from end to end, you'd have to place a couple on the back to help out. Or possibly go up to the 60s those things are beasts.

Ya, i'm thinking two MP60's.
Closed loop seems so outdated and overly complicated. :dunno:

Rockwork will be more minimal i think. Not ultra, but less than I have now (per gallon).

Anderson14 has a MP60 on one half of the 'Twins' and I thought my MP40 moved a lot of water.....

Definitely agree though, on an 8ft + tank you need to step up to 60's - the 40's just don't have the oomph

He also runs the overflow plumbing on the side of the tank, so nothing is inside the actual tank - I'm definitely doing this on anything I set up going forward, its a cleaner look - especially if the tank is being surrounded by built in cabinets as you'd never know the plumbing is there

I thought about going out the side, behind the cabinetry.
But I would still need to add some kind of overflow, otherwise you are not getting proper surface skimming.

Back