overflows and sump's

EmperorLay

Reefing newb
For you that have overflow's and sump's. Do you guy's turn off your return pump's while doing a water change or what do you guy's do. thank's.

I personally leave it running and suck water out with a siphon at the same time I have the new water being pumped out of a 30 gallon trash can into the tank.

If you don't have any water coming into your tank while siphoning then you will have to turn of the return from your sump or the pump will run dry. I guess it depends on how deep your sump is, but that has been my experience. I use to forget until I heard the gurgling from the pump. :mrgreen:

I agree depends on the size of the sump, or siphon while you replenish. cant compare as my sump is large enough to do water change without turning off pumps. as long as the pump does not run dry or cavitate you can leave it running.

I have done the same with forgetting to unplug the return pump. Also before I put a small hole in the return line I have forgotten to break the back siphon and have had my sump overflow.

Back