overheating sump

andersoned14

Reefing newb
Sump is all installed and running good--flow is balanced--put now I am concerned about heat. I have a 100w flood light to help cheato grow but it gets real hot so far the sump is up to 80. Not sure how how it will go, but wondering if anybody else has this problem and a solution.
also, how long should that light run
I am feeding the sump with a powerhead from my wet/dry filter next to it is this going to give me all the benifits set up this way. thanks
I can add a pic in about 30 min going to put kids to bed first

Instead of using a 100w flood light, use a regular 23w CFL bulb or two. Much more energy efficient and they work very well.

To cool down the sump, you should buy a little clip-on fan from Walmart. They run about $10. Have it blowing across the surface of the water in your sump. That will drop your temps by a lot.

The chaeto light should either run 24 hours a day or opposite of whatever your display tank light schedule is.

100w may just be a little too much. Have you tried a lower wattage bulb to see if that helps? As far as the lighting, most people myself included run the fuge light on an opposite schedule of your DT.

Here's a trick, put your top off water in a container in the freezer for about 10 minutes, get about a two degree drop, just let the water blend and not shock your fish. Mine seem to like it, they swim right into the cold, fresh water.

504934b5.jpg

here is the pic I said I would post
thanks for the tips all I have now is a 13w cfl, but it says on it not to use near water--- so afraid to put that one in
does this set up look ok?

Back