Overnight delivery of Inverts

x19

Reefing newb
I'm getting ready to place an order for a custom clean up crew from ReefCleaners, and had a question about shipping. If I have it shipped to my office and it arrives during the day, is it ok that they hang out in the box in my (climate controlled) office for half a day? Or do I need to plan on taking the day off?

I dont see where it would be a problem either.. I have had deliveries while I was at work and they sat in the house until I got home.. havent had a problem yet...

I would talk to John and ask him when you place your order. The only difference between letting ReefCleaner orders and other places is that John doesn't send his inverts in water. He only packages them in bags with wet paper towels. That would be my only concern.

I've gotten inverts sent by reefcleaners by priority mail, (3-4 days) and haven't had a problem, I think they will be fine.

Agree they will be fine. My snailpack sat at my grandmas house for the day before I was able to pick them up in the evening. I had nearly a 100% survival rate.

I would talk to John and ask him when you place your order. The only difference between letting ReefCleaner orders and other places is that John doesn't send his inverts in water. He only packages them in bags with wet paper towels. That would be my only concern.

Err, then how do you acclimate them?

Err, then how do you acclimate them?

Acclimation guide for orders from reef cleaners ...
All Animals at this Time:
1. Float the bag in your tank to get the snail used to the temperature in your aquarium.

2. Wait 15 minutes.

3. Add animals to the tank, discard shipping water and any towels used in the packaging.*

Important: Snails may go through shock during shipping, and be closed when they arrive. You should give them plenty of time to come out of their shells and move around before deciding they didn't make the trip. Ceriths may go dormant for up to 3 days.

You may find this to be different than the acclimation procedure you are used to carrying out. The reason we now ask our customers to use this procedure is because our snails and crabs live intertidally, and can handle swings in ph/salinity without a problem. However, what they can't handle is toxic levels of ammonia. During the shipping process, ammonia levels in the shipping bags build, while the ph level goes down. As the ph goes down the toxicity of ammonia also goes down. However, when your tank water with normal ph is introduced to the shipping bags, and the ph rises, so does the toxicity of the ammonia, and you will be poisoning the livestock. Please don't do this and certainly never let livestock sit out in buckets with shipping water exposed to fresh air for a long period of time, we know of no surer way to kill your new arrivals.* Any other method of acclimation voids the Alive Arrival Guarantee. It is an easy method of acclimation and it works fine, please follow it.*

Back