Overwhelmed!!!

A standard 55 gallon tank is 48 inches long. That sounds about right for a 4-bulb T5 fixture. They also have 8-bulb fixtures that pack twice as much punch. Those are better than 4-bulbs, but go with what you can afford. I am running the 4-bulb Nova Extremes on my 55 gallon tank, and I've been able to keep anemones and SPS just fine.

One more question.
I am looking at the Nova Extreme fixtures with the 4 bulb setup. I see there are HO t5's and cheaper T5's. In order to some day have anenomes do I need the HO? What is the difference between HO and the standard t5's?
Thank you again......
Everything else is already decided.....
Super Skimmer
Emperor 400
Heater and test kits. This is the last piece of equipment in question....

Nevermind......I just noticed they are both HO. One was 8 bulb the other 4. I'm just a bonehead.....
Are all T5's HO?

Not hardly Shane.HO is 54 watts per bulb.Then you have 39 and 24 watt fixtures.
Im running the 8 bulb nova on my 75,Took it off my 55 when I up graded.

Not all T5's are high output but thats what you should be looking for at least.The HO's have a special ballast to run the extra wattage bulbs.It breaks down like this:

A regular 48'' T5 comes in these flavors:

T5(normal output 28w)
T5-HO(high output-54w)
T5-VHO(very high outputs-80w)

The Nova T5-HO is a good fixture,it will allow you to keep many corals.I think it should be okay for a BTA(bubble tip anemone) but I'm uncertain about the others.Remember,anemones are delicate and don't do well unless the system has matured 6 or more months.

Thanks again Yote....I was at Klem's (local all around store) and they have a t5 fixture with 2 bulbs 149.00. Is that enough, or should I just spend the xtra 50 bucks and get the 4 bulb fixture online for 200?
I hope I'm not being to much of a pain about all this....

Whats the wattage of the fixture your looking at?
If you can post the name brand and wattage,it'll make it a lot easier to help.

But either way,I dont think a 2 bulb light is going to be enough to keep much of anything except fish and maybe a mushroom or 2.

I don't remember either of those....I'll just get the Nova Extreme 4 bulb. I've seen it fr just under 200. Shipping will probably be pretty high but.....

The Coralife Super Skimmer is a much better buy than the Prizm. But I highly doubt that you will find this in-store. If you can get it from Walmart, you will have to get it online. And I also highly doubt that they have any kind of lighting besides regular old freshwater flourescent hoods.

Right you are......
Thanks. Looks like I will be ordering everything online...
Any thoughts on where to try to find reverse osmosis water? I tried our local walmart but no deal...

Walmart does carry it, you just have to read the labels on the bottles. It's not called "Reverse Osmosis" water on the bottle. Grocery stores also carry it. And so do LFSs.

Back