Page

Page

Reefing newb
Hi. I have been in the fresh water fish for two syears and salt water for almost one year. I have a 90 Gal reef tank set up with about 60 lbs live rock and several Tangs and Clown fish and Damsels. Have tried other fish with not much luck and having a difficult time with coral. Mushrooms seeem to do Ok but soft and hard coral seems to burn out. Also now haveing problems with red bristle worms. Someone suggested band coral shrimp to control them but they seem to be growing faster than than the one shrimp can eat. I am thiking of removing some of my live rock and replacing my substrate with live sand to see if it helps and improves my aquascape. I am still learning the hard way by buying and losing my coral or fish. Not gettting much help from my local store. Looking forward to talking to each of you

Welcome.

Try Setting up a bristle worm trap they cost about 10 bucks.

Or you can put some food in a piece of nylon stocking on the sand bed at night then when you wake up in the morning grab it out first thing. Do this for a while and that will help with the bristle worms.

Post your levels PH, ALk, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Calcium, Phosphate, temp, salinity and also more about watermovement and your setup skimmer lighting etc..

We are here to help. Ask away.

...I bought one of those bristleworm traps because I have A LOT in my tank, haven't caught one yet. Is there a special trick to it or something???

Do you have bristleworms? Other than that the only thing I can think of is you are leavig the trap in the tank to long. They can get back out it just takes them a while. So if you put a good bit of food in the trap and you put it in say 11 o'clock at night after lights out for a while then get it out first thing say 7 is how I've always done it, which I should say has only been about 5 to 10 times.

Hope this helps.
Brandon

I have a lot of bristleworms. In the past I turned all the lights out for a while and just went in with tweezers and a flashlight and picked them off one by one. Time consuming and didn't get too many. I leave it in for about 7 or 8 hours, maybe there is just too much else for them to eat in the tank, why bother going in the trap?

Back