Paint

i used a can of flat black latex paint and rolled it on to the back it will take a couple coats to make it not streaky. i used latex because it is easy to get off if ever i want to take it off

If your painting a tank with livestock, I think painting with a latex paint and a roller would be much easier. When setting up my tank I used spray cans and I think if I ever do another tank I'll go the paint and roller route.

no live stock in it, it's a new tank that I'm switching over to in a couple of months moving from my 55 gal to a 90 gal :^:if I used a roller would I use the foam ones so the back wont get bumpy
??
If your painting a tank with livestock, I think painting with a latex paint and a roller would be much easier. When setting up my tank I used spray cans and I think if I ever do another tank I'll go the paint and roller route.

just get a smooth mini roller it came out really well for me the back looks a little bumpy on the out side of the tank but you can not see it on the inside of the tank.

Hi I know I'm new here but I read a article in TropicalFish the may issue. Its on page 52 Titled "You may not want to paint the back of your tank". The article does a study on the light reflected off the back of the tank comparing painted and tape on backing. According to the author James Fathere a non painted tank is 30% brighter due to the reflection off of the back glass. He recommends using a tape on backing or painting the back wall behind the tank. Just thought you would want to know it seems to be a pretty good study on the subject. Might want to look it up before going foward. I tried to get a link to the article but im not that good at that stuff saw its listed on the website www.tfhmagizine.com in the article archive but couldnt open it:grumble:

I'll have to check into that thanks

Hi I know I'm new here but I read a article in TropicalFish the may issue. Its on page 52 Titled "You may not want to paint the back of your tank". The article does a study on the light reflected off the back of the tank comparing painted and tape on backing. According to the author James Fathere a non painted tank is 30% brighter due to the reflection off of the back glass. He recommends using a tape on backing or painting the back wall behind the tank. Just thought you would want to know it seems to be a pretty good study on the subject. Might want to look it up before going foward. I tried to get a link to the article but im not that good at that stuff saw its listed on the website www.tfhmagizine.com in the article archive but couldnt open it:grumble:

hmm that's interesting

i'm considering painting the back of mine, but i'm just not sure i really want to.. i sometimes go round back of the tank when i'm looking for waldo or whoever.

what are the pro's and con's as yall see 'em of painting the back? would you suggest black or blue, or something totally different?

i think a black backing on a tank just looks very professional.

I had a 40g cube that was blue.... but it just weird, kind of LFS display-ish... whatever that means I personally wouldn't go blue again.

Really any spraycan black paint that is approved for plastics or metals will pretty much do the trick. Since you're painting glass you need to be careful about runs, just work slowly and get nice light coverage and steadily make it darker as you coat the back.

My last personal tank I sat up in a big rush.... then when I got all plumbed I realized I forgot to paint the back.... DOH

I stole some of the wifes plastic hair clips and clipped a black shower curtain to the back of the tank.That way I can remove it if I want too.

hmm all very interesting points.. i have just short of a gallon of simigloss black that i'm gonna be using for my stand, and i was just thinking about putting some of that on the back glass...

i guess worst case scinerio, i could just try it, and if i dont like it, then i can allways just get a razor blade and take it off...

Back