Paint

Are you painting something that will go in the water? Or just the back and sides of an acrylic tank?

If you are painting the tank, paint the outside with Krylon Fusion. It is designed for use on plastics. If it is for something internal to the tank, I would not trust any paint as it might chip or release chemicals into the tank.

Are you painting something that will go in the water? Or just the back and sides of an acrylic tank?

If you are painting the tank, paint the outside with Krylon Fusion. It is designed for use on plastics. If it is for something internal to the tank, I would not trust any paint as it might chip or release chemicals into the tank.

Yeah it is going to be in the tank. It is part of the overflow. Can I find it at Lowes ?

Yeah, the paint is a spray paint. It should be available at Lowes.

However, I would look into buying some black acrylic. It should be at Lowes also. That way you wouldn't need to worry about the paint chipping or peeling.

I would call a local glass shop as you will be able to order black acrylic, or you can order online. I wouldn't risk anything painted in the water.

Out here in California, the only hardware store that carries Krylon is ACE Hardware.
Lowe's and Home Depot do not carry them for some reason.

I used Krylon Fusion to paint the DIY polycarbonate overflow in my tank too.

I spent considerable time sanding and prepping the polycarbonate to make sure that the Krylon paint would not chip.
But in hindsight, I think it was not necessary to do so. Just a few months in and coralline algae is starting to take over the overflow panels so the paint would eventually be moot. The blue would no longer be visible through the purple in a few months time.

Back