Paly Problem ID

SaltwaterNoob17

Reefing newb
I posted a couple of months ago about my Devil's Armor Palys shriveling up and excreting brown strings of :pooh:. Well, sadly, they've never recovered. Over the last few months they've continued to shrivel and look worse.

I'm posting this in the ID section because I noticed this yellow-brown mass growing on the colony of Devil's Armor, and I have no idea what it is. There are also now holes penetrating the mat of the colony. Any ideas?

DSC04966.jpg

I don't know if this helps, but the yellow-brown mass is soft. I had expected it to be hard.

I took the palys out and put them in QT yesterday... :(

Can you pull the mass off? It kind of looks like a sponge.

I'm sorry I can't be much more of a help, but I have not had luck with devil's armor either. I have probably tried 3 or 4 frags of it, and it just wastes away over time, until it disappears. I strongly suspect that lighting has to do a lot with it. They tend to do better with lower lighting. Do you have them at the top of your tank?

Can you pull the mass off? It kind of looks like a sponge.

I'm sorry I can't be much more of a help, but I have not had luck with devil's armor either. I have probably tried 3 or 4 frags of it, and it just wastes away over time, until it disappears. I strongly suspect that lighting has to do a lot with it. They tend to do better with lower lighting. Do you have them at the top of your tank?

I didn't try to pull it off. The palys were getting all pissed, and I get kind of paranoid about palytoxins. :death: It's just so weird, because they were doing great, and then out of nowhere started deteriorating like this. They were mid-level in my tank, but now they are in a 10 gallon QT under plain florescent lighting.

Samantha, do as Buff suggested. Pull off as much of the mass as possible with Tweezers. Once you are happy with the amount pulled off give them an iodine dip for about 8 minutes. Rinse them with RO after that and put them back in the tank. You may have to do a follow up after about a week.

my orange zoas or palys whatever have grown around my ball anemones. and on top of that when they both are fully extended they dont effect each other. as far as a sponge id say scrape that with a toothbrush and they should be fine.

Back