PAR38 Bulb?

SigEpLucas

Nano Reefer
Hey guys,

I'm going to be putting a 2.5 pico tank on my desk at work...why not it's where I spend most of my time anyways right? I think I have everything figured out and ordered for the most part except the light of course. I don't really want to have any restrictions on what I can keep since it's pretty much just going to be coral and wanted to know some thoughts. Which LED light or other light should I go with? I like

The 12 bulb PAR38 combo from RapidLED at $90
12 LED PAR38 Bulb (Mixed Color) - Rapid LED

The 5 bulb PAR30 combo from BoostLED at $75
PAR30 LED Reef Lamps by BoostLED?

The 12 bulb Exotic PAR38 combo from MarineDeopot at $120
Ecoxotic PAR38 LED Aquarium Lamp

The 12 bulb PAR38 combo from LEDtric at $100
LEDTRiC? PAR38 "zooman72" Full-Spectrum 18w ReefLamp | LEDTRiC - High-Quality LED Lighting for Reef Aquariums

I have no idea which one of these would be best for the 2.5 gallon tank. I like that the LEDtric and Exotic lights have some red in them but I've heard good things about RapidLED as well. What would you all advise as the best option? Also, what degree optics would be suited for such a small tank? I know 60 degree is tight and can create a spotlight effect but on such a small tank would it still pretty much cover it? Thanks in advance!

I have the Par38 bulb from RapidLED over my 10g and its super strong - I've had to mount it almost at the top of my ceiling to not burn/melt my corals. I think you're going to find the same thing from the LEDTric (Dana has this bulb if you want to PM him and ask about it) and the ecoxotic. They do make some smaller clip on LEDs for the pico tanks that you might want to look into - can't recall specific ones off the top of my head, but I'd worry that the Par38s are going to be too strong for your tank. I believe Waddi and D2mini also have really tiny pico tanks so maybe ask them what they are using for lighting?

I wondered about that - I think its possible that the BoostLED is the better way to go since it only has 5 bulbs, but I still think its going to be a strong light. As long as you have a way to raise the light if needed then I think you will be okay with that one if thats what you decide to do. I'd read reviews on it first though to see what others experiences have been. And if you do get that one, then go with the 2RB, 1B, 1CW, 1NW combo to give a better spectrum.

Thanks Fishy! I appreciate the feedback. Anyone else have any thoughts or ideas for a better light option for a pico that won't break the bank! I really want to stay at $100ish or less.

Back