PAR38 LED reef lights for 20" deep tank?

RockStacker

Reefing newb
Has anyone used PAR38 LED reef lights for tanks as tall as 20"?

The new tank I am setting up will be 20" tall (water about 19") and 72" long.
The primary lights will be the two 55-LED 120W dimmable fixtures taken from my existing 55gal tank which is 48" long.
I am thinking that the extra 2 feet length will be too much to cover with the two existing LED fixtures and I will need to fill in the gap with more lights.

I could go with adding a third 120W 55-LED fixture, but I was thinking of mixing things up.
There is also a wide center brace in the middle of the tank and the light from the third LED fixture would be passing through the glass.

I am planning on placing 2 PAR38 LED reef lights in the middle gap between the two existing LED fixtures and will be on the outside edge of the center brace.

Would this work? or is the PAR38 designed for shallower tanks?

It would look something like this:
The large black rectangles are the 55-LED fixtures, the black squares are the PAR38 LEDs.
lightsetup1.jpg

I think you'd be fine as far as penetration to the bottom of the tank. My Par38 above my 10g is so strong that I've had to raise it almost to the ceiling (a good 3 feet above the surface of the water) to not burn my corals.

Thanks. I did not realize they were that strong.
Do you know if they work with standard dimming switches for regular light bulbs?

With all that I have been reading, people with LEDs never have their stuff over 70% and not having any issues with high PAR readings with the LED figures.

Back