Paranoid

arod4481

Reefing newb
Hello,
I am new to this hobbie and I am at the beginning stages of having a saltwater tank. Forgive me, I probably didn't do as much research as I could of before I bought my tank but I am trying to make up for it now. I have searched websites trying to get answers to a couple of my questions but was never not confused with the info I got. So if any of you have any advice for me please let me know.
I have a 26 gallon tank and I have had it set up for about 3 weeks and have had 3 damsels in there for two. All of the levels are good so far and I will probably do a partial water change this week. One thing though is one of my fish disappeared. Has this ever happend to anyone??Do fish eat other fish??

Another is that my live rock has some mold/icicle like things growing on it and I just want to know if this is normal or I need to take any action.

And last I would appriciate any recommendations on what fish would be good to have. Like I said I have 3 damsels now (well 2 actually) but I don't really like the fact that they are so mean to eachother. If I introduced other fish in there eventually (after my first cycle is over) would they be mean to the new fish? I'm not picky I would just like to add some more color to my tank.

Thanks to anyone who responds.

Paranoid:

Fish disappearing can be expected during the cycling period. Is your tank covered? I have an open tank and unfortuentely loose fish about twice a year to jumpers. If they do die in the tank though it wouldn't be uncommon for other fish to eat on it.

How does your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test out? Has your tank completely finished the cycle? I wouldn't add anything else till it has finished this process then add slowly after the process I.E. dont go get 5 fish and add them all at once... One or two a week till you have about 5 to 6 total inches of fish (that would be the general rule for a tank your size).

I personally ( my :twocents: ) would recommend removing the damsels at the end of the process and go with a couple clowns, gobies, maybe a firefish, etc.... But i personaly dont like watching other fish eat on or chase each other, and damsels can be very territorial and in a smaller 26 gallon tank you will have issues with that.

Keep us posted with your progress.
Brandon

Nice post Brandon.Welcome to the forum arod4481I to agree damsels would be nothing but trouble.pretty soon you may only have 1 left.So when you ready I would remove them for credit at your LFS(local fish store).Maybe like two more weeks you can try a orcellaris clown(orange).They are pretty hardy fish.Some products such as cycle well help you through your cycling as well.Your rock will go through many stage when your tank is new.How much rock(lbs) do you have, and what is your filtration system? For testing you can get some simple 5 in 1 test strips(PH, HARDNESS, ALKALINITY, NITRITE,and NITRATE.Thease are good for fast new tank water testing.

minireefer said:
Nice post Brandon.Welcome to the forum arod4481I to agree damsels would be nothing but trouble.pretty soon you may only have 1 left.So when you ready I would remove them for credit at your LFS(local fish store).Maybe like two more weeks you can try a orcellaris clown(orange).They are pretty hardy fish.Some products such as cycle well help you through your cycling as well.Your rock will go through many stage when your tank is new.How much rock(lbs) do you have, and what is your filtration system? For testing you can get some simple 5 in 1 test strips(PH, HARDNESS, ALKALINITY, NITRITE,and NITRATE.Thease are good for fast new tank water testing.

Thanks for that, I have a test kit for PH, ammonia etc, all my levels are fine. I just noticed today that the brown algae is coming.....Is there anything I should do or just wait for the green algae to come later. Right now I have 17 lbs of live rock , I know I should have more but I didn't realize it would be so expensive. I think I will get rid of those mean damsels but I will be patient. I don't want anything to happen to my fish so I can wait...

I love damsels, well my puffer and trigger do anyways... oh wait we are not talking about me.

My last fish to jump was a $30 six line wrasse, look behind your tank and I hope you don't have cats. Some times when they die they also end up wedge in between or under rocks which can cause you ammonia or nitrate spikes. Take a few minutes and carefully search your tank. I have found them wedged between aquarium walls and power heads. If you find it dead remove it quick. Hope that helps and welcome aboard.

P.S. We all started this hobby way to fast without enough research.

welcome to the forum. good advice already given so i wont repeat. your system is not yet fully settled in at 3 weeks. be patient and let your system take its course and if the alga starts to alarm you add some clean up crew, a couple astea snails if your amonia and nitrites are 0. watch your nitrates and if reading over 5ppm water change. on the water change. top off with purified water and then add seasoned makeup for water changes. seasoned makeup is fresh prepared salt water that has been mixed, cycled, at tank temperature for at least 24 hrs preferably 48 hrs. do not add salt water that has just been mixed. the effects will not be positive in the long run. go slow and add one animal at a time. research the needs and make sure you can provide for your charge and that the new additon will be compatible with what is already there. add the most agressive last and i also agree you can get rid of the damsels. they will most likely cause you trouble with new additons in your size of tank but a great starter fish. hope something here helps.

dead, live rock

ok, so my algae problem has been ok , but I have a question. Can Live rock die? Mine (only one)has been looking sort of calcified lately and has little mold like bubbles on it (like you would see on old cheese). I don't see any worms on it like I used to either. I know live rock is really not alive.

Live rock will have a die off when it is first introduced to the tank from slow shipping, ammonia spikes in your new tank, ect.... You will see it liven up again shortly.

Also the brown algae or Diatoms are very common in a new tank, and is a good sign that the cycling process is well on its way. Do you have a test for Nitrite, and Nitrate?

Reasearch And Learn

Check out the helpful articles. you will find some articles there just for the beginner with lots of information to answer a lot of the most common questions and to give you a basis to make your own informed decisions while you get some experiance. good luck with your system.

I agree with the other posters, the damsels may be your problem. A lot of people try to start off their tanks with damsels because they're cheap, hardy, and pretty, but they will kill each other (especially the blue damsels, in my experience). In a small sized tank like yours, the size may only make the problem worse. If they continue to "disappear" I would suggest starting your tank with green chromis. They are a type of damsel, but are not aggressive and very hardy (good looking and cheap too). If you do keep your damsels, their territoriality and aggresiveness will limit you in the types of fish you can add to your tank in the future. And they may eat corals, invertibrates, and crabs (at least my pain in the butt blue damsel does).

Back