Parasite care/treatment

assafelbaz

Reefing newb
Hi.

I see on my blue tang, on his tail, a white parasite. It looks like a short worm.
Is there a way to take care of it? Is it dangerous?

Thanks.

You sure it's not a piece of sand? Need I mention that the tang should be in a larger tank? ;)

If he's eating, I'd say leave it be unless you plan to treat ALL the fish specifically for whatever ails them and leave your dt fallow for a few months.

I didn't know that... Anyway, now that i have it, can i treat the parasite?

Well, like I said, if you plan on treating ALL the fish in a qt tank AND leave your tank fallow for a few months, then sure. Otherwise it's pointless since he'll get it again once you put him back in (the parasite is no doubt already in your tank and other fish -- just not showing symptoms).

If he's eating, leave him be. You'll just cause more stress.

You can start by researching livestock for your tank and make the appropriate stocking choices based on the size of your tank. Putting a fish in a tank smaller than it should be in will contribute to a fishes stress, which makes it more likely for a parasite to take hold and infect the fish

Since you didn't bother doing that here, you're only option is to treat the fish if it is unable to fight this off on its own. You're going to be best served by doing this in a seperate QT tank, as anything that will kill the parasite is not safe for reef tanks. You might as well take all the fish out of the display and treat them, and leave the tank fallow (fishless) for at least 8 weeks

Back