Part Two - Sump/Refugium/Skimmer

Becki67

Reefing newb
After researching a TON, I'm going with an octopus skimmer...actually, I was looking at the octopus needlewheel.

I would also like to find a refugium/sump already put together...is there a good one that people know about?

I need the type that goes under the tank. The ones I see at the FS have about 4-5 inches of sand in them...any thoughts on that?

I'm willing to pay up to $500 or so for all of this if I have to. Is that a good budget for this system?

Sump:
Well there are quite a few. I have never bought one so can not really recommend, for I was always surprised at the cost when it's relatively easy to just make one from a simple tank and partitions put in with silicon... but ok- if you want to buy I would suggest that most will do. If you plan on a Reef tank however, I would you get one without a wet/dry section (trickle filter or anything with Bio Balls). Properly managed they are fine, but can easily live up to their reputation as 'Nitrate Factories' when all your biological filtration should provided by the live rock. If it's a fish only you are thinking of - then the inverse is true = get a wet/dry section...

Thougths on sand: Well I am in the process of setting up again - having sold a couple of systems a few months back in order to move. I had sumps there with one section acting as a refugium = sand, rocks, macroalgae etc... I supplied light as is fairly standard.
I found a few things:
1) The light induced algae growth throughout the sump - not just in the refugium section, but also within my skimmer (which I have subsequently learned is undesirable)
2) I found that without regular maintenance (and even with) it just generally got messy down there.
So: if you are thinking sand and light to act as a refugium I would stress the maintenance and try to find a way to shield the other sections and equipment from this light.

In the small system I am currently setting up, I am leaving the sump in darkness, just installing the required equipment. I plan to have a refugium, but this will be at or above tank height to overflow back in the display tank = seperate and with a pump feeding it, not returning...

Joes and James has got you covered for the most part.
If you willing to buy a used sump,You might can find one for 125 bucks or so.New,your looking at 350 and up.

Lifereef.com and My Reef Creations.com make great sump/refugium but I believe both will go over your $500 budget,especially when you add pumps,etc.

You will need to know the footprint of the Octopus skimmer before choosing a sump/refugium.Also,the space in cabinet which I'm sure you know already.

You can go ultra cheap like this one,ditch the crappy skimmer it comes with,maybe the dimensions is small enough to fit in the cabinet.
http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=37_139&products_id=1315

Dr Fosters and Smith,Marine Depot and Premium Aquatics are other places to check for sumps/refugiums.Here is Lifereed,DIYreef and MRC just so you can look.I like the price on the ADHI refugium/sump at DIY Reef.

http://www.lifereef.com/frame.html
http://myreefcreations.com/
https://diyreef.authsecure.com/shop/index.php?cPath=108&osCsid=4b82d1d0330cd030ca1ed565e2312a3a

if every thing goes as planned i will give you mine it is an americial (sp) you just have to pay for shipping i am planning on chopping down my currrent tank but if i break it than i will still need the old sump.

Definitely let me know. I was planning on buying one at the end of next week. I don't have any drilled holes. Will I have to buy an overflow box?

Why are you tearing down your system?

You will need an overflow box if your tank is not drilled. I can vouch for the CPR brand -- I used one on my old 55 and it worked great. For the CPR overflow box, you'll need to buy a cheapo AquaLifter pump to hook up to it (it's like $12) so the siphon will automatically restart in case of a power outage (it prevents your main tank from overflowing).

i just order a CPR overflow box from permuim aquatics i oder about two weeks ago. and it still not here:frustrat:

Back