PC plug sparked on me

clancaster23

Reefing newb
Well today I had set up this metal halide light I picked up and it's ran fine all day. I jut plugged it into my strip and tonight when I go to unplug it for the night, they were still on (I should have hit the switch first) when I touched the plug, they turned off and it was still plugged in. I unplug it and then plug it back in and I get a buzz out of the socket. I haven't tried to plug it back in cause I don't want to get shocked! Any way I can test this to see if something shorted out? Can I switch my strip off, plug it in then turn it on again or what? Kind of lost here and will be pissed if I ordered $125 worth of lights and trhis thing is blown.

It sounds like your power strip got fried.
Most likely the power strip gets fried first before the MH assembly.

If you are hearing a buzzing sound from the power strip, it would not be worth risking the rest of your equipment.

What is the power rating on the power strip?

Well the thing is I have four other things on that strip that are still working fine. I'm not sure about the rating of the strip. It's just your typical six plug strip. I actually had the halide part of the light in this same strip, unplugged it and then plugged it back in and it works fine. I'm thinking it's either that specific slot in the strip or there's some kind of short in the plug itself. I'm just too leary about trying another slot.

Back