Peaceful my a$$!

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
Yeah...one of my firefish is now missing its very long dorsal fin. I thought maybe it was the clowns, but upon watching all the fishes' behavior today while eating, I've got to conclude that it was the other firefish.

At the start, the 2 shared a cave. They seemed to adjust well, but still hiding most of the time. So anyway, yesterday, I noticed one of them no longer had its long dorsal fin. And it found its own cave at the end of the tank, while the other un-nipped one stayed in its own cave. I thought the clowns might have attacked it.

But today, while I was feeding them, the one w/ the nipped fin (who I will now refer to as stumpy LOL) came out to eat with the clowns. They were friendly enough. But when the other one (who I will now call suspect #1) came out of its cave to eat...as soon as he did, stumpy sulked away back to his own cave. The clowns did nothing out of the ordinary, no aggression or anything.

I'm now thinking about putting Stumpy by himself in the 10 gallon. The 10 gallon's ammonia seems to have gone down, I think. The test shows 0. But I'm going to take some water in to the lfs to have them double check it. How long after a fish has died in a 10 gallon would it be safe to put another fish in? Should it be ok once ammonia and nitrites are at 0?

I'd love to hear what you all think of my suspicions on Suspect #1. I honestly don't think the clowns did it. I know they can be aggressive, but the way the clowns ate peacefully around the firefish made them seem less likely.

(incidentally, this is where I got the idea that 2 firefish may not be happy in the same tank unless they're mated -- http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1926+168&pcatid=168 )

Last edited:
I had two and they never fought at all. When one commited suicide I got a replacement and them two got along. I haven't gotten any more since them two commited suicde. I plan on getting two as soon as I close off the back of the tank.

I would consider placing suspect #1 in the 10gal and leave stumpy in the DT, that way you could add another fish to your tank without suspect picking on the new fish...and since he likes to bully other fish, place his a$$ in solitary...Lol

I would consider placing suspect #1 in the 10gal and leave stumpy in the DT, that way you could add another fish to your tank without suspect picking on the new fish...and since he likes to bully other fish, place his a$$ in solitary...Lol

LOL That makes more sense :) Why should I punish stumpy for being a wuss. I don't think I'll get another firefish. Don't want to risk the same thing happening. I'll just move on to whatever next fish I wanted to get. Probably some type of goby.

Incidentally, Piggy...how exactly did your fish commit suicide??

It was most likely the other firefish. I've heard multiple things about firefish. Some people say keep them in pairs, some say solitary, some even say 3s.

Mine was always shy, keeping to itself all the time. I decided to get it a couple of buddys to see if they would be fine. Well all three of them would occasionally dart at another. Soon the two new ones were both missing their pointy fin, and their tail fins were getting pretty chewed up.

One morning i woke up to find one of the new ones dead. I removed what was left, basically the head. The CUC had a good meal that night. I decided it was time to get the other one out before it happened to it as well. Went to work, came home ready to go fishing, to find that one dead as well.

I dont think they do fine together unless theyre a mated pair.

Back