Pearlscale Butterflyfish... wish me luck

Paste

I'm on a boat!
This guy is a beauty... around 2.5 inches long and very peaceful.
Everything I read says I got a 50-50 chance of it being an evil Corral destroying monster.

From what I have read, they tend to enjoy stoney... and will often leave softys alone.
the only stoney I have is my Torch (which after moving lower in the tank is finaly growing instead of just being in a holding pattern).

5 days, no nips...
Keeping him well fed and hoping for the best.

What are you guys's personal experiences with them?

Never had any first-hand experiences with them, as I wasn't willing to risk my corals. :mrgreen:

Stony corals usually refers to SPS corals (and the torch is an LPS coral). But I don't think that means that softies and LPS are off limits -- some butterflies will go after all sorts of corals.

If yours hasn't been nipping, then perhaps you got lucky with one that doesn't have a taste for corals. Although it may not stay that way either -- they have been known to "turn" overnight!

You should be feeding it a frozen preparation especially for butterflies and angels. They usually contain sponge and coral material to meet their unique dietary needs.

Yuppers Biff,
I got an Angel prep that has sponges and meaty bits for it.
Got the "small" package (as I always do when I get new foods) and have been mixing it with what I feed the rest of the tank.
Going to get some water today for my biweekly change and will look at what else my LFS has food wise.

Good deal! It's nice to see people doing their research on the fish they buy and making sure they are giving it the best environment they can. :) Good job.

yeah, I got a couple pics to come (trying to get them from my phone to work pc... takes time).

Butterfly fish was one of the big question marks on my stock list, it has the right temperament and took the vote once my fiance saw it. She has fallen in love with her shrimp so that ruled out the longnose hawkfish.

Fishy is still camera shy, but this is the best I got atm.

Happy fish.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 461
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 349
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 295
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 428
Thanks Wonton...
I hate your pic... I SOOOOO want a foxface.
Next tank,
Is it sad that I have been in the hobby for around 2 months and am already planning my next tank?

Anyway next tank will be a big one.. at least 150 preferably 200+ (working on getting the AC working in my man cave (NEEDED in Texas) first, then the big tank goes out there (don't want to boil the fish)

Heheheh....when I first got my 45g set up, I was already planning my 125g ;)

I love love LOVE my foxface. He's my pride and joy. He's so fat. My hubby says he's at least 4 bites big ;)

Back