Pellet Food

Banana Man

Reefing newb
Hi,

I have been using a combination of Pellet Food and frozen Crill mix. I'm not sure how much of the Pellet I should be using. When I put it in most of it ends up on the sand so they definitely don't eat it in 5 mins. Do the fish eat it slowly as it eventually breaks up? When I look in the tank a few hours later it all seems to be gone so I'm just worried its all ending up clogging my filter?

Thanks

pellet food and flakes are a nice way to push your phosphate levels up.. If possible try to feed just an assortment of frozen foods and ditch the pellets...

I feed pellets also, but I only put in what my fish will eat in moments...it doesn't take them long to eat 5-6 pellets. You shouldn't have any left in a matter of 5 mins, you're overfeeding and raising your levels like mentioned.

If they aren't eating them, try a different food. Some fish just don't like pellets and won't take to them. I recommend that you only use frozen foods. You can find a variety at any pet store, and fish tend to like it the best.

I use new life spectrum pellets once a week. I have a 60 gallon and 3 fish. I drop in a tiny pinch, maybe 12-15 pellets. The fish eat them immediately.
I'd say, if it's ending up in your sand and just laying there you are using too much or your fish don't like it.
What do you have fish wise?

I have 2 clowns, a Cardinal and 2 cleaner shrimp. The pellets fall to the bottom fairly quick so If they aren't quick enough some fish get nothing even though they are on the sand... they don't seem to go for them on the sand. If they were hungry would they eat them off the sand?

I'm just trying out pellets now so when I have to travel and use my automatic feeder I know what setting to have it on.

I don't see clowns eating anything off the sand. Mine smell the pellets as soon as they hit the water and the ones I use don't sink that quickly. Maybe try another brand? I really like the kind I use and so do the fish...

Back